1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rot/impact crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JLaw, Mar 25, 2013.

1. JLaw

JLaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    My leghorn 1-2 weeks old(was on sale at TS) has a puffed up crop she moves her head around like a snake charmer. We got her this past Friday and I noticed this Saturday. I started the sav a chick probiotic sat night. today I picked up duramycin-10, poly vi sol, and apple cider vinegar and put it in the mix. She eats and poos and drinks water. should I worry or do you think it will take care of it's self? Here's some pics I took today. I also bought olive oil yet to give her any. and she only eats starter chick food cept maybe a pine shavings. last pic is of her poo just incase it may need to look different. tip was hard then rest soft almost liquidy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Is the crop emptying or is it always full and getting larger? Does it feel like feed or is it very squishy? Is there any smell? I would start my isolating her and withholding food overnight or for at least 5 hours. See if the crop goes down after not having food (it generally takes about 4 hours for food to make it through the digestive system). If the crop does not empty then it is time to take further action.

3. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    seems like it's always full then again I leave food in there 24/7. I really don't have a way to isolate her today i'll have to buy another lamp and build another booder for the other chicks tomorrow I guess. I cant smell any sour and it feels soft almost like nothing but air in it. it does go hard as I massage it but I think she's just trying to force stuff down cause it goes soft after maybe 5-10 sec maybe less.

4. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    well I wasn't able to split it up from the other chicks but I did have wife take food out at about 6pm tonight I got home around 12 and it is still swollen up. while I had it out it pooed alittle and was hard poo. wish vets were free or that I was raised here and knew more people around to help. I tried tipping bird upside down massageing the crop to the throat but no thing happened cept bird chirping some. it also looked like it was trying to throw up when it did it's head bob tonight. the mass is up it's chest and to the right side left side is fine up by neck. it's soft not hard from what I can feel. going to build another brooder for the chicks tomorrow so I can use the one I have them all in as a hospital.

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    I responded to you in the NY thread about the crop location but if you had removed food for that long and the crop didn't go down, it may be impacted. The head bob movement is a chicken's way of moving the contents of the crop around, in order to get it moving on. When I had this problem with a chick I did get it to pass mostly via massage... gently working the crop like a bean-bag between my fingers over the period of two hours. I have had to do this three times with one chick, and once with another, and fortunately each time I was able to get things moving on. If you can get a wee bit of olive oil in her it may help. I have to stress that the massage might take an hour or two, it really depends on what she has that is stopping her up and how bad it is. It doesn't sound as if it has soured yet, but it will soon if things don't start to move on.

(I think you also know this now but that one isn't a silkie)

6. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    ty on phone ant working i'll do the massage longer tonight. It didn't feel like anything was in it cept when she tightens it up. She seems like she goes to sleep when i do it i just don't know how hard to massage her

7. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    Ok been massaging the crop of the chick well I think it was a little full or I did something wrong she started to throw up. this is what it looks like. since not black guessing she don't have rotcrop yet but I cant get the neck to go down i'm guessing it's impacted but I cant feel much in there. truly i'm not sure if i'm doing this right or now. she did poo on me while I was doing it so that's good I guess. was hard poo though not sure if that's good or not. she eats drinks and poos. but chest is huge from bone down under by her legs to up the right side of her neck some not so much on the left side though. with out flash then with flash. I saw like the littlest piece of feather in it not much almost like it came from one of the silkies. I did have her separated but did no good she went crazy more relaxed with the group of chicks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  8. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Ok... might be she's eaten shavings and they are causing problems.. I hope that's not the case.

Try dripping a bit of olive oil in her beak... if you can get her to eat some fresh minced garlic too, that would help for the sour crop. Get the oil in her, massage the crop, get it moving. Birds typically don't throw up on their own persay, but you can massage it out. That's what you did earlier. You need to drain a sour crop, get it out. BUT you also need to get the impaction moving. Get some grit also, might need some of that to get it moving, preferably out.

there are also some birds that OVER EAT, and they stretch their crops permanantly. Looks awful, and kinda freaky. I forget what it is called, so I can't be much help there. Some one else might know what I am talking about.

Hope you can get the impact/sour crop fixed.

9. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    An update. I put a sand (play sand and reptile sand) dusting pan in and all chicks eating some. When I got home it seemed her crop was littler until she ate but still not as small as the others. Gonna let her rest tonight and check tomorrow will try massaging then. Just can't stand the shaking head and she seems to sleep more not to mention her skin is like purplish around crop. Maybe over reacting first time with chicks but I really don't want to loose one. Wife is kinds upset cause I spent so much trying to take care of this one bird. "You could have bought 12 more chicks". Lol sad thing is it's a chick type I didn't even want but was sold as wrong type to me. But that's my fault for not researching the bird type.

10. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I loved my leghorns. They were curious, had loads of personality, and their feathers... Like satin when you'd stroke them. I was devastated when my dogs got loose and killed them... They were the first out, learned the fastest, would stand on the coop door and be in my face while I was trying to do chores. Great layers. Loved them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by