1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rotating from coop to tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cgnc, Apr 29, 2008.

1. cgnc

cgnc New Egg

Apr 24, 2008
    Chinagrove N.C.
    Hello everyone, I purchased 18 chicks a few weeks ago.These are our first.I have a few questions.Will rotating 4 from the coop to a tractor that can be moved around the goat pen stop them from laying?Not sure if this is to stressful......I also wondered if they would be accepted back in the coop after coming from the tractor?........I had hoped to keep 4 at a time in the tractor for a week or so.Then rotate 4 more..Im glad to have found the forum and look forward to learning from you all.Thanks.

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    How old are they? Tractor sounds really small, so where would they lay their eggs? Do you have a box in there?

3. cgnc

cgnc New Egg

Apr 24, 2008
    Chinagrove N.C.
    They are 6 weeks old and off of heat.The laying question was a look into the future.(counting my chickens before they hatch).The tractor 8x4 and 4 foot tall triangle in shape.There is a living quarters in the top where I hope they will lay in the future during there rotation.Are you thinking 4 is to many for the size?My main purpose behind the tractor idea comes from someone at work telling me they should be in with the goats.The goat pen is to large for me to cover and I dont want them getting out or hawks getting to them.

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    You'll have plenty of room for them in a tractor that size. I am planning a similar thing, same size 4x8...for 8 birds. I'll be moving it around the lawn and garden

5. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Ok, .....your tractor sounds like it would work very well. You have an upstairs living quarters and a place for them to lay. The chickens would get use to the routine and I think lay just fine. 4-6 hens would work well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by