Rotating Watch Dog Chicken, is this common?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CapcityAdam, Feb 16, 2015.

1. CapcityAdam

CapcityAdam New Egg

Jan 24, 2014
    Richmond, Virginia
    My Coop
    I wanted to poll the readers and see how common this is, but with our 4 hens, they rotate each night who is the watch dog chicken. Our coop is very secure, the entire structure is enclosed with a run and we've never had predator issues with our ladies. But each night one of the girls sits in the door way looking out into the run or on our little side porch watching the ramp to the door. Is this normal? It's problematic right now because the temperatures are down to single digits and one of the girls goes out on watch each night outside of the heat lamp. We've checked all hours and there's still a different watcher each night, no matter how cold. They keep to their post. One of the girls got frost bite on her comb, so we've had to grab the watcher for that night and lock the ladies in so they can all be in the warmth of the coop. We do live in the city so I wonder if the normal noise has them on high alert?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by