Roten Egg!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lovin'mychicks, May 13, 2009.

1. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    This morning I opened the bator to give my chicken and duck eggs a turn as usual. It was day 17 for the duck eggs. My father-in-law gave them to me from his pond. We were unsure if they were good but on day 6 I saw good vains in each one.

This morning when I opened the bator the worst smell ever came pouring out! I noticed that one egg was leaking what looked like foam! The smell woke my kids up! I quickly disposed of the egg which looked almost black from the inside. The others look Okay.

From the beginning I knew they may not hatch, but I have 18 chicken eggs due to hatch Friday. Will they be okay in there???

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    They'll probably be okay, but you might want to do a good candling on all those duck eggs.
    Are they from domestic ducks? I hope so, b/c I think it's illegal to take wild eggs in almost every state.

3. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Yes, they are ducks we bought and raised on our family pond. They are Rouen ducks we purchased at the feed store last spring.

When I candled this morning, all the others showed a good air sac and I could see movement and what looked like a foot but for me they are harder to see through than my chicken eggs (even though the shell is lighter)

What else should I look for??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by