Rotisserie Roasted Guineas - Mmmmmm!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by HidingInTheHenHouse, Oct 19, 2008.

1. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We decided to decrease our guinea flock before the winter, so butchered 3 yesterday when we did a batch of meat birds. Never had guinea before, so wasn't sure what to expect. Brined them since yesterday, put them on a spit over an open fire "bucket" we use to burn wood and have an outdoor fire. Turned for an hour, basting with olive oil with garlic and spices, and brown sugar near the end.
    Turned out extremely excellent. Very tender meat, nice flavor, wood fire added a lot I think. I can understand why restaurants use guineas sometimes as an "exotic" meat. It was very good.

I sure hope our female guinea decides to lay some eggs next year so we can eat guinea more often!

2. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    That sounds wonderful! Maybe we will have to get some guineas next year!

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    sounds yummy, was the meat tender? I have cooked (roasted) guineas but rotissirie never crossed my mind.. going to try it...

to the second poster, sorry I didn't remember your name.. your guinneas will lay eggs next year.. I hope you have them penned up or at least trained to roost in a coop at night.. guinneas are notorious for hiding their nests.. you can be standing 3 feet from a nest and not see it..

I have a good flock of 10 birds who laid hundreds of eggs in the coop and ln the laying nests

they do not make good parents

you should take the babies away as soon as you can and brooder raise them...

but that is a whole other subject..

....jiminwisc.......

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Oh, wow-- now I'm hungry. Sounds delish!!

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:HidingInTheHenHouse,
    Yes, it does sound good. Do you know how old your guineas were?

Quote:Aren't they maddening? I couldn't find the nests at all his year. I got very few eggs in the coop, mostly I just found one here and there, but not close enough together to hatch a bunch, except once.

My guineas hatched out about 45 keets this year. They lost all but ONE. I had a broody dark Cornish hen I gave 7 guinea eggs to. 5 hatched. She raised all five, and the lone survivor of the guinea parents left the guineas and joined up with her, too. So she has 6 young guineas who think she's their mother, and they're fine. They still follow her around. (I hope that's not going to be a problem when she broods again next year.) They sleep inside with the chickens, they think they're chickens. From now on, if I want more guineas, they eggs go under a chicken.

6. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    that is what we do also.. the buff orpingtons are super moms.. and as a bonus, the guineas raised by chickens tend to be much tamer..
    my guineas let me touch them when they are in the coop..they do not allow me to pick them up tho..but that is ok with me..lol

we had a nest on the floor in the corner of the coop where the guineas all laid their eggs.
    we just let them go at it.. finally one day, I decided to collet the eggs.. I tossed 1 turkey, 1 guinea and four chickens off that nest.. I put all the eggs into the incubator.. there were 140 eggs in that nest.. I hatched out about 90 guineas from that bach of eggs

I have 11 laying guineas..

..jiminwisc.........

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    oooh! so glad to see this!

we were going to do about 15 guineas for meat next year. looks like that just got doubled!

8. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Guinea hens are monogomous. They will mate for life. If they lose one, they will mourn it until it dies. Or a least that's what I've read about them. I feel bad, we ate one of ours, the night I found the reading on them, was looking for a good recipe. bummed me out, till it was done cooking [​IMG]
    I've heard injecting it then deep-frying it, like a turkey is pretty awesome tasting too. That's what we're trying out next week.[​IMG]

9. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    PLEASE,,,don't tell my guinea rooster that he is suposed to be monogamist.. He is currently, and successfully, courting 9 hens.. (did I say "courting" ????) well, you know what I mean..

I have a couple of pure white keets that I am going to raise.

I don't know where that white color came from in my black pearls.
    My roo is a slate gray..

If I had to choose between my guineas and the chickens,,,,,,,,,,
    goodbye chickens..

10. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    we've got some white ones, some silver, some even lavender. Oh and let's not forget, we have three duff whatevers. I call them cold oatmeal colored. Everyone wants my uglies, but ummm nope! We gonna do baby uglies next year.
    OO thanks for the they aren't monogomous, now I wont feel bad for eating the big ugly next week! Man, she's mean. Takes all the food out of the spoon, and backs down our leghorn at 'momma feed time'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by