Rotisseries

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by halo, Nov 27, 2008.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I just love stopping by the local grocery store and picking up a rotisserie chicken. They are just so delicious, and cheap. Is it worth getting a rotisserie and baking your own? Do they turn out as good?

2. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    Yes!!!!!!!! We got ours 3 or 4 years ago at JC Penny's, it is a Showtime (you know, the one "as seen on TV") Everything we have cooked in it has come out good and moist and its easy clean! If I remember right it was about $90. I think the chicken is better than at the store!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok here is my two cents. I have had a vertical roaster for years - just a weird looking thing that stand up, and you put the chicken on it and roast it like that with seasonings on the skin and it has NEVER been dry.... EVER! For $10 you can get one at Target or some place like that and save yourself the major cleaning effort from a rotisserie. Just my opinion....

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  4. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    We have the rotisserie attachment for the grill and love it.Great for chickens, pork tenderloin, etc. I also have a vertical roaster that a paid a couple dollars for at the Corning outlet store 8 years ago. I use them both with great results.

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Well, looks like I know what Im going to ask Santa for! Are you able to season it so that it tastes like the store bought ones? Do they marinate them or just use a seasoning sprinkled on?

6. chrissum

chrissum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    NWMO USA
    +1 for the RONCO! Always perfect just check w/a thermometer, we buy our spices/rubs at the local Amish store and the bird turns out excellent!

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    We were in Walmart the other night and saw a small Ronco "set it
    and forget it" rotisserie for $59. I had to have it. I've wanted one
    for a while but the big ones are a lot of money.

This one fits up to a 10 pound bird. We cooked a 12 pound turkey
    in it the first night and it worked fine. The taste was fabulous.

It doesn't take up any more space than a toaster oven on our counters
    which is important to me since I have a lot of kitchen gadgets.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10197092

I can't wait to use it for pork chops, tuna steaks, quail, & silkie [​IMG]

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I love my Showtime rotisserie, I use it all the time, and it isn't hard to clean up at all. The chicken always turns out moist and tender. Get one, you won't be sorry!

9. Possumpoint

Possumpoint Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Several years ago I bought one of the George Foreman rotisseries and I loved it. I litterly wore the thing out I guess. Was wondering about the Showtime rotisseri. Thanks for the Walmart link PurpleChicken, will check it out. [​IMG]

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You guys are the best, thanks for all the comments. Now all I have to do is figure out how to kill the chicken that I need to raise to put in that rotisserie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by