Rotten cotton butts

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Prettiest Frog, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    I've got a shed full of straw for bedding for the birds. Went to get some fresh stuff, and discovered about a dozen rabbits had found a way in, torn the bales up, and made themselves right comfortable nests all over the place. Rabbit droppings everywhere. And the little buggers didn't even have the decency to wait politely while I went back in the house to get my crossbow.

2. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    lol, rabbit I won't complain about too much. They're a little pain in the butts, but our rat terriers spend hours chasing after them - more often than not, they catch 'em... surprisingly, only the smart ones are alive. They know better than to stay still ever [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah...only bunnies on suicide missions would get near our storage areas...lol. Between the dogs and cats, they give our place a wide berth...

4. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    I had a rabbit move in under the coop during the last cold snap and snowstorm. It would come out and eat the chicken feed and left over frozen squash in the chicken run and then go back under the coop. I thought it was kind of cute and temporarily halted my zero-tolerance for rabbits policy. Then it came out from under the coop and ate some of my bushes. That was rude. [​IMG]

5. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Quote:LOL, that was a great story. It made me smile/laugh/chuckle.
    We had bunnies all over the yard... I don't see taking them out as bad as anything else for 1) they mass produce (... 2 rabbits one day, 15 the next, WTH????) and 2) we are helping them survive, hence their overproduction. The bunnies had to go when they ate the berry bushes... they could eat my garden or the chicken food.. but the bushes and fruit trees... [​IMG] gotta go!!!

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    We had a territorial buck 2 years ago in on e of the chicken run.... rip apart the comb and wattle of one of my orpington roo....

7. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Yes, they are cute and fluffy and all that... they even find places to sleep at night in the hay and straw left over for my horses and goats. I don't mind them if they don't eat my garden, chicken food, wild bird food or other resources... But they can and will.

Oh well... Rabbits must eat, too.

That is why we must hunt them ;-) They taste pretty good, too! [​IMG]

8. chickluver:D

chickluver:D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    maryland
    HURT NO LIVING THING.[​IMG] dont kill them that would be dumb. look at it from there view, they found a place with food water and warmth, and they dont have preditors constantly trying to eat them:celebrate! there happy. im mean u have chickens, ur bound to have a problem.

1 ruby-eyed netherland dwarf:bun, 8 hens:cd, 1 cat, 1 parrot, 1 injured northern flying squrrel, and 9 eggs in the bator!

9. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    chickluver:D :

dont kill them that would be dumb

If god didn't want me to kill rabbits, he wouldn't have made them delicious.​

10. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Quote:If god didn't want me to kill rabbits, he wouldn't have made them delicious.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by