Rotten egg broke under broody - safe for chicks?

KKatknap

Songster
10 Years
Nov 15, 2009
Albany, OR
So...my new broody had a nasty egg break under her. Only one egg hatched after that, and the chick died. I think she tried to help it - she's a little too earnest. Anyway, I have chicks hatching in my incubator that I would love to give to her, but I don't know if it will be safe since she had all the rotten goo on her underside. There is still the smallest odor to her when I pick her up. The egg broke @ a week ago.

She is still VERY in to being a mommy, and I would like to give her the chicks that have just hatched, but I don't want them to get some vile infection. Any thoughts?

DEFINATELY clean her and the nesting site up as much as possible! The smell is from decay and bacteria- that stuff can get into other eggs and cause them to go bad. Also, the rotting material will attract flies and the flies will lay eggs that can turn into maggots, they in turn will feast on your hen and her chicks. NOT fun. Prevention now is WORTH the work you save yourself in the future (and your hen and chicks).

Personal experience has taught me this lesson.

Back
Top Bottom