1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rotten egg broke under broody - safe for chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KKatknap, Jul 13, 2011.

1. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    So...my new broody had a nasty egg break under her. Only one egg hatched after that, and the chick died. I think she tried to help it - she's a little too earnest. Anyway, I have chicks hatching in my incubator that I would love to give to her, but I don't know if it will be safe since she had all the rotten goo on her underside. There is still the smallest odor to her when I pick her up. The egg broke @ a week ago.

She is still VERY in to being a mommy, and I would like to give her the chicks that have just hatched, but I don't want them to get some vile infection. Any thoughts?

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Maybe you might want to wash her before you put other eggs under her.

3. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    DEFINATELY clean her and the nesting site up as much as possible! The smell is from decay and bacteria- that stuff can get into other eggs and cause them to go bad. Also, the rotting material will attract flies and the flies will lay eggs that can turn into maggots, they in turn will feast on your hen and her chicks. NOT fun. Prevention now is WORTH the work you save yourself in the future (and your hen and chicks).

Personal experience has taught me this lesson.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by