rotten egg in nest, are others ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mama dixie, Apr 10, 2012.

1. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I went to check on the hen setting on the eggs I ordered and put under her. she has rolled a couple out so I tossed them becuse they did not look so good. today I picked her up and she is skin and bones. my hens get thin when they are broody but this is her first time hatching. I took her off the nest and one egg was under her wing and droped out it was all rotten and all gas,,, gee what a stink. I put her out in the coop and she ate a bit ran around jumping and then had a good drink and ate more... the other eggs seem ok. some of them rattle like there is somthing in there, i barly moved them but felt something swish back and forth. do you think they are all dead?

this is the second time I have ordered eggs and all seem to go bad, i do not wash the eggs when I get them is that what I am doing wrong. by bantam broodies who sat on there own eggs got 5 to hatch and survive they are such protective momies. i just wonder what i am doing wrong with my eggs i order...

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Have you candled any of the eggs??? At all during incubation?

3. silkielover1731

silkielover1731 Chillin' With My Peeps

i agree you should candle them

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    My girl is also broody, in order for her to be healthy I took her off the eggs every day so far, and took her out to eat, drink and pick at the grass, after 10 minutes she is back on her eggs. If I did not remove her she would waste away! We plan to candle on day 10 and see what's viable and what's not. You need to candle yours ad see also. Take your girl off the nest gently, and let her eat and drink then put her back on. This way she will not get sickly skinny.

5. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    I did not candle them. some of them are very dark brown but I will try to candle them today. I did not realize you need to candle them if you have a broody. I guess I have been lucky so far. I did candle them when I got them. the ones I could see into had the bulls eye. We have our girl in a rabit hutch like we have had the others and she is in the den side and she can walk to the other side and get food and water but she does not do that. the other hens always did. I will take her off the nest every day and take her to food. she also will not eat out of my hand like the others always have..when I candle them how do I tell if they are good? I know to look for the bulls eye in the beging and to look for spiderweb veins but is there anything else that I should look for to tell maybe if the chick has passed away. the mama has tosed out some eggs and this is what my birds have done in the past if they are not going to hatch, she must just be learning and needs some help...in the past when our girls hatched out there own flock eggs we always had like almost all hatch maybe 2 out of ten or 15 would not make it and they would throw them out. seems if I order eggs I just do not do as well at all, that is why i thought maybe I was doing something wrong... I am going to take mama some scrambled eggs to help her get strong and some brocli in it...

6. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    I tried to candle them and can not see anything but a dark blob. the eggs are not real light so I dont think they are rotten. they should hatch next wed...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by