Rotten Egg Laying

Marinefam2053

Songster
Jul 18, 2019
Deep South East
Ok, at first I thought it was a weird coincidence, maybe the egg was bad, even though I actually did the float check and the egg sunk. I cracked it open and inside was completely rotten. Fast forward a couple weeks and the same hen had also another rotten egg, except I just assumed since it was dated and good like the rest, there shouldn’t be a problem. (For the love of all things created, never crack a rotten egg directly into a hot skillet 🤢🤢🤮. This particular hen is not laying regularly, and this morning, same thing, another rotten egg. Anyone know why this is happening? Things that can be done to correct it? She’s the only one of 8 chickens doing this.

Can you get some photos of the inside the of the next egg?

Or do you still have it?

How often are you collecting eggs and how long is the egg kept before you use it?

Can you get some photos of the inside the of the next egg?

Or do you still have it?

How often are you collecting eggs and how long is the egg kept before you use it?
She hasn’t laid any eggs recently. The last egg was about a week old, and it was watery white colored whites and the yolk was a green color. Her comb this morning isn’t looking great either. I was trying to get a picture of her, but she is one of my most skidish hens. If she does lay again, I’ll take pictures and post.

I don’t know why no one knows what a rotten egg is! 😂 When they say rotten, they mean rotten - Like black inside! No yolk just moldy, mucky green and black rot! It doesn’t mean it tastes bad or looks funny … yes a hen can lay a rotten egg because I watched mine do it today! Cracked it open immediately and black! Doesn’t mean it’s left out for days. Does anyone have an answer for this?

I don’t know why no one knows what a rotten egg is! 😂 When they say rotten, they mean rotten - Like black inside! No yolk just moldy, mucky green and black rot! It doesn’t mean it tastes bad or looks funny … yes a hen can lay a rotten egg because I watched mine do it today! Cracked it open immediately and black! Doesn’t mean it’s left out for days. Does anyone have an answer for this?
Also who would want to take photos of that? The smell alone could make you faint even if you’re on the other side of the kitchen.

Ok, at first I thought it was a weird coincidence, maybe the egg was bad, even though I actually did the float check and the egg sunk. I cracked it open and inside was completely rotten. Fast forward a couple weeks and the same hen had also another rotten egg, except I just assumed since it was dated and good like the rest, there shouldn’t be a problem. (For the love of all things created, never crack a rotten egg directly into a hot skillet 🤢🤢🤮. This particular hen is not laying regularly, and this morning, same thing, another rotten egg. Anyone know why this is happening? Things that can be done to correct it? She’s the only one of 8 chickens doing this.
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook/34/rotten-eggs

Yes, I would have an answer for that. If I watched a hen lay an egg and immediately opened up that egg to find it was rotten, moldy green with black rot - I would in turn immediately cull the hen because she must be suffering greatly from infection.
Hope that helps:)

Back
Top Bottom