1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rotten egg smell and sanitizing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coffeemama, Sep 8, 2008.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    So I sort of forgot some dud eggs in the incubator for a few weeks [​IMG] -long story, but dh made me move the bator to a room attached to the garage and I forgot about them. Anyway, I filled the bator with light bleach solution, and put the turner minus the motor in there and let sit for a few minutes. I rinsed everything, but it still smells like rotten egg :| . Do I need to let it sit longer, or has the bleach done it's job and it's just a smell now, not bacteria? I have some precious eggs that need to go in by tomorrow morning, so I don't want to mess anything up.

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I have a bator that stinks permanetly. I got it at an aution and I think someone let ooze under the plastic liner and never removed the liner to clean it. I have bleached it, washed it, set it out in the sun for a week and I guarantee the bacteria are dead but it still stinks! It hatches chicks fine, it just stinks!

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Well that's good to hear (sort of) [​IMG] I think mine will come out-it's not terrible, but it isn't good either.

4. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

[​IMG] hate to say it.. but.. i told u so [​IMG] lmao.. im mad cuz i cant find my other thermometer [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Well it's never happened before-oh well! The eggs are in, so hopfully they will do ok [​IMG]

6. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

omg... i jsut puuled out my other bator... i have some unexpected eggs coming from the guy in LA... so i knew that i was gonna need to bators.. and it STILL smells from the yucky goooy duck eggs that were in there.. and i washed it REALLY WELL.. ug and the humidity is REALLY starting to make me mad.. i have to constanly watch it.. well atleast the temps are very stable [​IMG].. UGH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by