Rotten egg smell from the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickiechik, Sep 18, 2011.

1. chickiechik

chickiechik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    I have Silkie eggs in my incubator for a week now. A friend received shipped Orpington eggs with 2 of them broken. We put the remaining eggs in the same incubator. There was a terrible rotten smell, and I found 1 egg that had residue from the broken eggs and removed it. It smelled horrible! The bator still smells, so I was wondering if that will cause bacteria to ruin the remaining eggs in the incubator?? Any suggestions to get rid of the smell??

2. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Ive had the same problem honestly...I left mine and they were ok! [​IMG] I ALWAYS disinfect my bator before I put a new batch in and if one burts *fingers crossed on this batch* I take out the surrounding eggs clean them off and in the bator asap. If it so happens to get everywhere Id start fresh but I candle my eggs every day til lockdown for this reason..had a really horrible hatch once...out of 350 only 25 hatched..had a friend watching my eggs while I was on vacation for 2 weeks and well she left a rotten egg in the bator... -_-

3. chickiechik

chickiechik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    THANK YOU! I disinfect mine as well. We will be candeling in 5 days to see if everything is o.k. Keeping my fingers crossed [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I don't candle everyday but I do candle about every 4-5 days. Many here will totally disagree. Sometimes if I can't get to candle, I do crack the bator and take a good sniff.[​IMG]

5. shelby528

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:A lot of people are against disinfecting..I dont know why but they are lol! [​IMG] But I work in an actual chicken barn and honestly...cleanliness is top priority...we even wash our eggs the hens lay on the floor rather than in the nests (14,000 to a barn those eggs can add up if the hens are dumb). I got told washing eggs was bad...yes it can be if you scrub to hard..BUT I do it anyways..Im pretty good at it otherwise.. [​IMG]

6. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Just wondering, what exactly is candeling? Thanks

7. shelby528

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:\\

Candeling is when after 5-7 days in the incubator you place a light against the egg to see if there is life in it (embryo/baby). Its not hard to do I take an egg after 7 days and hold a flashlight up to it in a dark room to see if i can see veins (sign of life) or a hearbeat <3

8. Mayerling

Mayerling Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    Temecula, CA
    What o you use to disinfect the gator? I had a rotten that has ruined the smell of the incubator after taking everything purand washing well. Didn't want to use bleach, thought the residue fumes may affect the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by