1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rotten Egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Hi - i have another post here about my trials and tribulations of a late first hatch. But i have a new concern.

When i look in the incubator with a flashlight, i see some yellow yolk looking stuff on one of the eggs, like it has perspired it on top of the egg surface. Does this mean it's a rotten egg and should i remove it?

i'm starting to smell a bit of funkiness coming from the vent holes.

Would appreciate advice (quickly, in case it decides to explode on me) Thanks.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Anything oozing should be removed promptly. Please be gentle, those things are like bombs..shake too hard and pop! When you go to remove it, give it a little sniff. It will let you know if that's the stinky culprit.

Jody

3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    how long has the egg beed in the incubator ?... but it sounds like u got an infertile egg.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Thanks, i decided better safe than sorry and pulled it out. It was seepy all over, but didn't smell. i hope there isn't another bad one in there. This was one of the green eggs, and i was never able to candle them because i couldn't see anything through the shells.

i'm on day 24 here, and have seen movement from some of the other eggs, especially the silkies. So want to give them a couple more days. i didn't notice it starting to smell until this morning.

5. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    be carful if there was one there might be more be very careful

6. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    My husband laughes when i go egg sniffing. I can usually tell which one it is by the smell ha ha. crystal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by