Rotten Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jfarm, Sep 1, 2008.

1. jfarm

jfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Hey there,

I have been raising egg-layers for many years. Today I had the weirdest/grossest experience ever. While cracking eggs for breakfast I cracked one open that was filled with the most pungent green liquid. I immediatly flushed it down the toilet but it smelled soooo bad my house is still filled with the smell!! :eek:There is no way that egg was more than a week old - the girls are slowing down so we are keeping up with their production. Anyone have this happen?

Thanks! I sure hope I will be able to eat eggs again!!!!

2. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    There was another post on here not long ago about this. Thats really odd. I think it was suggested that it might be an egg that was inadvertently overlooked when collecting eggs/buried etc.? Other than that, I, for one have no clue!

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I'm so sorry~~I know the smell! [​IMG] It is horrible, but eventually will go away.

It happened inside my house when an incubating egg exploded in my incubator in my kitchen~~It sounded like a bomb going off & the whole house was filled with the "aroma."

Thankfully the egg stayed "contained" in the incubator & my hatched chicks had just been removed to a brooder!

I lit some matches, blew them out, and "waved the smoke" around" to help get rid of the odor.

And, yes, we still eat eggs! [​IMG]

I hope your home clears up soon. [​IMG]

4. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Ewww Gross! I've never had this happen, but I've been warned about it by several 'seasoned' chicken people. They all say that you should crack your egg into a separate container, rather than whatever you're mixing up in case the egg is bad. Of course, we don't do this at our house, but one experience like what you've described, and I bet we'll start! I hope your house gets back to normal soon.

5. jaredkopy

jaredkopy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Fenton, MI
    The exact same thing happened to me this weekend. Crack an egg for breakfast and WHAM! It was the sickest green goop and the smell matched the view. I don't know what happened. The egg couldn't have been more than 2 days old. I'm currently searching for ways to identify bad eggs before they get cracked open. I have two people the are regular customers of mine that had similar experiences with dark or red goo coming out of the eggs. Smelling terrible!

I'm not sure if candling, smelling or the float test will detect rotten eggs? I'm open to any kind of test that will prevent me or my customers from having another experience like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by