1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rotten Egg?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by buckyscheerio, Oct 8, 2014.

1. buckyscheerio

buckyscheerio Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2013
    east central Wisconsin
    I'm looking after a neighbor's critters and tonight one of their runner duck hens had a purple round ball surrounded by soft white tissue hanging from her backside! The neighbor's dad and I caught her and removed most of the white stuff - it looked like either egg white or membrane, it didn't seem to be attached. The round thing was hard, a little smaller than a golf ball and attached by a very thin stem. Couldn't leave her like that, she was off by herself, away from the others so we cut it off. We half expected stinky or bloody but there wasn't anything. We let her up and she ran off to join the others. It looked for all the world like a fried egg with a rotten yoke! Any ideas what this could've been? We just have our fingers crossed that she'll be alive in the morning!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes weird things happen with ducks' egg laying systems. She should be checked out by a veterinarian.

How is she today?

3. buckyscheerio

buckyscheerio Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2013
    east central Wisconsin
    She's fine, in fact you can't tell which of the five ducks she is! They all came running for their treat. All of them are about 4 or 5 years old and from what I understand the neighbors only get one or two eggs a day and don't know which ones are laying. I'm pretty sure they won't want a vet visit so we were just really happy to see all of them acting normally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by