Rotten Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CaptinKirk, Feb 21, 2012.

1. CaptinKirk

CaptinKirk New Egg

Feb 21, 2012
    We are getting eggs that smell old when we crack them open. One (or more) of our hens prefers to lay her egg on the floor under the roost. We are trying to determine if this is the egg that smells. Will the eggs take on the odor of the waste under the roost during the day? We collect eggs every evening. Thanks for any help here.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've had the occasional egg dropped from the roost and never have noticed any funny smell to them. I have read here about eggs smelling funny with hens that hang out in the compost pile?

Is it all the eggs? Just certain eggs? Just eggs from 1 hen?

3. CaptinKirk

CaptinKirk New Egg

Feb 21, 2012
    Thanks for the reply.
    We believe the smelly egg is from one hen only, but so far have not been able to narrow it down to that one hen. Of the eight hens, we know of four that use the nesting boxes and those eggs seem to be fine. Yesterday we found two eggs on the floor under the roost so we will see if both eggs have that rotten smell. All the hens have the same diet so not sure that has anything to do with the smell. Thanks again for the reply, I will keep you posted.
    Captin Kirk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by