1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rotten eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Whiskers, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Whiskers

Whiskers New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    Hi there, I need help! I have around 50 free range chickens which lay around 2 1/2 dozen eggs a day. The eggs are collected daily and cleaned (by wiping with a damp cloth). Then they are put into cartons and then into my cool room which is set a 4.c I generally sell them within the week of being layed. I had a customer who regularly buys them come back to me and say that she has had around 4 rotten eggs in her cartons over a 2 week period. Occasionally I have also cracked one fresh egg into my pan of bacon and eggs and it to has been runny, discoloured and had a slightly tainted smell. I don't know what is going on? I do have a few broody chooks that sit on the eggs all day sometimes before egg collection but I thought that this would not be the cause of it because they only sit on them for a few hours? They are fed on a mixture of grains and pellets and are left to roam our property during the day. Is there someway that I can check, separate and discard these rotten eggs so that i can keep my customers happy? Thanks

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Selling eggs requires gathering ALL of the eggs, every day. Are they hiding nests?

3. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    We free-range our chickens and only gather from places that are checked several times daily. I've found tons of eggs in areas that we didn't know about and those eggs get scrambled for chickens or given to ravens.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Somehow you are missing some eggs for too long. Set up nests that are checked daily, and toss any suspect eggs. Feeding spoiled eggs isn't a good idea either; recycling can go too far, IMO. Consider evaluating ALL the eggs produced for a few days; candle them, and crack them open individually. See if there's a pattern, as spoiled eggs from one site, or a certain hen. You might have to check for Salmonella or some other problem. I wouldn't be selling any eggs until this problem is fixed. Good luck! Mary

5. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    True. I wouldn't want to feed spoiled eggs to anybody, pets or wild bird included. We've never had spoiled eggs, so I guess I shouldn't encourage anyone who has had them to feed them to anybody...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by