Rotten, no good chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KenK, May 6, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I've been feeding the chicks with the little round metal feeders, they work fine except that the chicks like to jump on top and crap on them. Decided to try the red quart jar feeder, no room to perch on. I put a little food in the base and it worked like a champ. OK, fill the jar full with a good quart of food and head to work. Return home to find that they had billed the entire contents of the jar out onto the floor of the brooder. : (

[​IMG]

2. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Is that cedar shavings you have in there?

3. countrychick14

countrychick14 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Awww, they're cuties! My little cuties do the same thing. I raise their feeders. It won't stop all of the waste, but it does help to keep the feeders back high. Good Luck!! [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

And this is news? [​IMG]

Sorry. Mine do that all the time. So they eat it off the floor of the brooder while I am at work. It gives them something to scratch for in the pine shavings, just like grown up chickens outside.

Rotten little bastids.

5. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:Why no, they are not. They are certified organic, sustainable, non-allerginic, BYC approved shavings.

6. 64fyermun

64fyermun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    I would clean out my chicks pen, fill the feeder and they would walk up to it and scratch all the feed out! I've hung their feeder up in their outdoor coop so they wouldn't poop in it. The food stays cleaner, and they can't kick it out, but they still scratch with their legs as they eat! Their a tremendous source of entertainment!

7. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Our little devils like to scratch food out of the feeder too.
    I am calling our 2 EEs Pinky and the Brain, because one has figured out if they spill food and then splash water on it, it turns to a delicious mush under the shavings. They she roots around digging a hole a couple of inches down to get to the puddin' [​IMG]

GC's DH

8. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Quote:Why no, they are not. They are certified organic, sustainable, non-allerginic, BYC approved shavings.

LOL!! It looked like it to me, sowwy [​IMG]

The only thing that worked with my chickys was putting the feeder on a brick so it was upp to about the height of thier backs, they still make a mess but not as big lol

9. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    It's hopeless, Ive tried every thing and they manage to dump it, scratch it,whatever they can do to it....today I bought glass canning jars Hoping that it will be heavy enough to keep them or the mom hen from tipping it over, I have the plastic now and it gets tipped over 10 times a day....I read somewhere that about 60% of chicken food goes to waste, i Totally believe that and it's prob More

10. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:x2

Except that just short of their 2 week birthday, mine figured out how to barrel into it and knock it off the upturned dish. [​IMG]

If they want to eat it off the floor, they'll get it off the floor. I plan on just throwing it on the ground when they move outside anyway. That's how grandad fed his.

If you really insist on a feeder, I saw somebody post something about a nifty PVC feeder with an upturn at the bottom for them to get the food. I don't remember if it was in the coop section or the feeding section, but a search for PVC feeder ought to get you some results. They'll probably still throw some of it on the ground, just not as much at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by