Rotten Raccoons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Scott, May 16, 2010.

1. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    I've kept birds for 3 years.... never had a predator get any of my birds. I've seen raccoon tracks on the chicken house where they have looked in the windows and tried to get in, but were deterred. Unfortunately, a raccoon got in last night it killed two of my black cochin bantam hens and ate my golden pheasant male... everything buts its feet and feathers.

I'll be setting a trap tonight.

2. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I am sorry about your banties and the pheasant. Hope you get the bugger that did this terrible deed.

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oh, I am so sorry! Can you tell how or why now? No doubt you are devastated -- I hope you get the beast who did this.

So, so sorry,
    Jenny

4. HathawayHens

HathawayHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    Coons are the worst... smart, and hungry!! [​IMG] I hope you catch it!

5. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    so sorry, been there had that done, in our case it killed over 25 chickens before we caught it, does no good to re-locate, they come back, might take months, but they do come back, i used to make my husband take them for a ride, over 20 miles, but maked one with paint, in a couple of months she was back, this time, no ride except to animal heaven.
    good luck
    sharron

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    alot of folks quit when they catch the first animal it don,t hurt to keep trapping about a week, you will catch 3-4 and then you will stop catching them normally when that happens you got them you won,t see them until the next group find their food source ,your birds good luck

7. egzactly

egzactly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    To anyone following this thread, please share how raccoons have breached your security? I am building a new coop and have been picking up helpful hints to improve the security of our coop. I live on the edge of a woodland and I know we have some large raccoons and other predators. We've been trying to seal every nook and cranny as thoroughly as possible. One interesting tip I already picked up from this forum is to secure the 1/2 welded wire to the wood frame with screws and fender washers. Also, I was originally going to use barrel bolts to secure the doors, but now we're switching over to pad locks. What are some other good ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by