Rouen and mallard difference

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 22lilchickens, Mar 19, 2015.

1. 22lilchickens

22lilchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2014
    Virginia
    I just bought some ducklings from tractor supply and I was able to hand pick them and I saw what I thought were mallards so I didn't get any of them I picked different kinds. They women said that they were Rouen instead of mallards how do you tell the difference when there so little?

2. WildWestChick

WildWestChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    Rouens have two black stripes on their face, one across their eye and one just under their eye. Mallards only have one eye stripe, across their eye. You can tell by the stripes from day olds.

:)

3. 22lilchickens

Oct 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Ok so if I go in to the feed store ill look and see

4. WildWestChick

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    Ok here are some examples:

These are NOT my pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 22lilchickens

Oct 3, 2014
    Virginia
    This helps alot last year during Easter they had mallards and I got two and they were both drakes I gave them to a friend who had pond and mallard females one we think flew away the other hangs out with all his girlfriends. So I don't want no more mallards that's why I was asking they looked so much alike

6. WildWestChick

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    I'm glad I could help ;) yeah they do look quite a bit alike...and sometimes the rouens 2nd stripe are a little light and they can look almost like mallards so they can be tricky. Lol I'd only buy them if they are clearly marked with the 2nd stripe, just to make sure! :D

7. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    It's much easier to tell 'em apart as adults, 'cuz rouens are adorable fatties! <3

8. 22lilchickens

Oct 3, 2014
    Virginia
    I got 6 ducklings today and I think one is Rouen but it's coloring is really werid but I hand picked them so I didn't pick the ones that looked like the mallards all the ones I got were the only ones that looked like it but one died when I got home so ill be exchanging for a love one so ill look at the stripes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by