1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rouen attacked by a raccoon

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GardenDuck, Aug 26, 2013.

1. GardenDuck

GardenDuck New Egg

Apr 10, 2013
    My Rouen Hen was attacked by a coon early this morning. Her throat has been ripped open but she is still out and about. I watched her drinking and there is water coming out of her neck so I know there is a hole in her esophagus. My question is does anyone think she will survive this or should I put her down so she isn't suffering. She is otherwise out with her flock mates and wandering around with them.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

It depends on

1. Any possible infection from the coon
    And
    2. How much food and water is making it the entire way down.

When i worked at a vet a cat came in that had swallowed a needle that got stuck in the throat. The needle made a big enough hole that the cat food started falling out of her neck (long haired cat, so the wound was hidden).

Anyway, the vet just took out the needle and gave her antibiotics. She said the hole had to heal from the inside out, didn't want to sew it closed because that might cause infection.

The cat was able to get more soft food down than the pelleted food, and everything healed up fine.

Of course with your case, there is a much bigger chance of infection from the coon. However, i would keep a close eye on her for three days (and in a more secure location) and if she looked OK after three days then keep her.

I had a hen get very cut up from an eagle (and they eat lots of carrion) and she was recovered completely. I did wash her wounds...but no antibiotics.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. GardenDuck

GardenDuck New Egg

Apr 10, 2013
    Thank you so much for your reply Alaskan. You confirmed my thoughts on how to care for her. I will try to post a pic of the wound and let you know how she does.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Wow, that's a tough one. Ducks have come back from some serious injuries, but not all can. Glad you are willing to give her a chance.

In this case, might it be worth getting a closer look and possibly snipping feathers from around the wound? I don't know what your weather is like but I would be concerned about fly strike if she's left outdoors, too.

Please keep us posted and welcome to the Duck Forum!

5. GardenDuck

GardenDuck New Egg

Apr 10, 2013
    There are no feathers left the wound goes from one side of her neck to the other in a 2 in wide strip and its approx. 2 in long. The weather has turned cool but I'm watching her closely. I tried to put her in my medical pen but she freaked out so I thought it was better to let her be with the flock as she was calm when she was with them. My poor Bob is being a trooper will keep you updated.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How is Bob doing this morning? if she is still with you, you might try putting her in Med pen with a friend. that way you can monitor her better and she'll have company to keep her calm.

7. GardenDuck

GardenDuck New Egg

Apr 10, 2013
    Bob is a trooper and is hanging in there. She has been with her flock and seems to be eating and drinking... though what she drinks streams out the hole. She must be getting some liquid down her as she was talking to me today and seemed quite chipper all things considered. In fact she even laid a very perfect egg this morning. Her wound is ghastly but dry and she moves her neck as normal. Unless something changes I am going to leave her with her flock and just keep a close eye on her.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The only thing is the flies laying eggs and causing maggots that will be deadly for her. But glad to hear she is hanging in there Hope the hole plugs up soon. [​IMG]

9. GardenDuck

GardenDuck New Egg

Apr 10, 2013
    Our weather has turned cool and I haven't seen any bug activity in her wound. It is dry and seems to be healing. I watched her closely this morning and I did not see any water coming out where is should not. so it looks like it is healing. She is quite chipper and is bobbing her head again (which is why we named her Bob) and being vocal with her flock. So far So good ..........

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's great news!!! sometime you'll have to post pics of Bob and friends we'd love to see them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by