Rouen? breed help please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by suliah, Dec 3, 2014.

1. suliah

suliah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Muskegon, MI
    I got this male duck to keep my female Khaki Campbell company after a hawk got her other 2 duck friends... I think he's a rouen, but I'm not sure. Also, will they breed together? I want to hatch tiny ducklings in the spring :)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks to be Rouen very retty ducks, yes they will mate and you should be able to hatch ducklings in the spring.

3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    he could be rouen, a mixed breed, or a darker khaki Campbell,

If he is rouen he has the dusky coloration ,which is completely gorgeous, but also if he were this he would have some gray in the places of white and no off gryish brown of the chest , very possible mixed breed, but if he is mixed it is probably mixed with rouen. Very beautiful bird lovely couple.

Yes they will breed of course. Ducks are like dogs they don't care how big or tiny or color, if they see a female they will go for it when the time comes.

4. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

I think his posture is too upright for a rouen. He does not appear to be much larger than the female on the picture, and rouens are supposed to be havier.

Whether you will have ducklings depends on the duck's instinct, if she does not go broody, you will have to do the job yourself with an incubator.

5. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Production rouens are skinner not as heavy set this looks to be mixed with production
    Heavier set is the standard rouen

6. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

In Germany we only have the heavy standart rouen, although I have come to understand there is a production type. I was not aware that they could have such an upright posture.

7. suliah

suliah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Muskegon, MI
    It might be hard to see in the pic, but he is MUCH bigger than my Khaki... I was actually worried that he would hurt her! But they are the best couple and I LOVE the way he looks, so now I'm hopeful for babies!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Those ducks can take it, my Muscovy drakes are about 12-14 lbs my Muscovy ducks around 4-6 . More pics when you can. [​IMG]

9. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all

Lol x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by