Rouen duck 1st molt-eggs changed?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckee, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Duckee

Duckee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    I have a rouen female and jumbo pekin male that are a breeding pair. The rouen just came out of her first molt and has begun to lay daily again for about a week now. [​IMG]
    Before her molt, her eggs were huge and bright white. Now they are very small and sometimes pinkish and sometimes tanish. Will they stay that way now? I put them in my chicken egg basket and cant tell the difference. Here is a picture of her egg(bottom) next to one of my chicken's egg(top). Any one experience this? Your input is welcome.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Any change in food or what she forages? Also startup eggs seem to have more bloom. And can be smaller.

3. Duckee

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    I did change her food late summer, but she laid fine on it for over 3 months before going into molt. Her foraging is the same as well. Other than her egg change, she is the same in all other aspects.
    I rarely use her eggs only for occasional baking. I do cook & feed back to them and chickens. Also my brother likes to eat them. If they stay small, thats fine, i got them for pets, not egg production. I just want to make sure her health isnt in jeopardy and whether its normal for her eggs to be this way permanantly, or if they should go back to the original size & color over time.
    Thanks for responding.

4. Duckee

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    @Amiga.
    Update: it is my "olive egger" that lays the pink eggs! Took a month to figure this out because first of all my olive egger was supposed to lay GREEN eggs! Safe to say i was given an easter egger! Second, she laid her eggs in the wide open yard instead of the nest box. Then my molting duck would stake claim to it and protect it. We added another bigger nest box to the coop and the pink eggs started showing up in there. FINALLY, after babysitting the nest for a long time, i busted my olive egger laying the pink egg! My duck is still molting & not laying. What a wild journey!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by