Rouen Duck Genders???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aw-Ee Chicken, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Aw-Ee Chicken

Aw-Ee Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2015
    Crivitz, Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Hi! I have two Rouen ducks and one Peking. The white one is a girl, but the Rouens I don't know. We get two eggs a day (a white one from Al the Peking duck and a greenish-white one from one of the others, Archie or Esther).
    My brother thinks they're both girls, and that Esther, the smaller Rouen, is just a runt. The rest of us think not, and could use some help determining their genders!
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old are they? What do their quacks sound like? Right now, they both look like females to me. Drakes will eventually get curled sex feathers in their tails and will make raspy, quieter noises instead of quacks.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How old are they? right now both look like girls to me.

4. Aw-Ee Chicken

Aug 17, 2015
    Crivitz, Wisconsin
    They are both about a year old.
    They love to quack really obnoxiously and loudly.
    So they're probably girls, since none have the curled feathers, right? Thanks for the input!!

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    All hens. Pekin not Peking. And the others two are a Rouen and a Mallard that's why she is smaller. Also she has other features that identifier her as a Mallard rather than a Rouen. Such as the shape of her bill, the pattern of her face, and the thinner, more slender legs.

1 person likes this.
  6. Aw-Ee Chicken

Aug 17, 2015
    Crivitz, Wisconsin
    Quote:
    That's why she's smaller! They came from the same place and both were identified as "Rouen". Aren't Rouens mixed with Mallards? Is that why she looks like the Rouen?

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Rouens are not mixed with Mallards. There is a big difference between Rouens you get from a hatchery, though, and Rouens you get from a breeder. Hatchery Rouens do often look like oversized Mallards since they haven't been bred for the deep, large bodies that show quality Rouens from breeders have.

1 person likes this.
  8. Aw-Ee Chicken

Aug 17, 2015
    Crivitz, Wisconsin
    So they're both Rouens? Maybe the small one is just a runt. Thanks for the info!!

9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    [​IMG]

No you have a Mallard and a hatchery type Rouen. This is an exhibition/show type Rouen. Not my pic.

10. LadySkyline

LadySkyline Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2017
    Michigan
    Hatchery birds, mallards, Rouens... they are still all very pretty birds! Can't wait for my Rouens to get bigger so I can find out if I have boys or girls :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by