Rouen duck laid eggs. What do I do to help them? Leave/Incubate?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hen House 60, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Hen House 60

Hen House 60 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    My Rouen duck has laid 3 eggs in my backyard. This is her 1st time. They are in the corner under a plant, but they will get wet if it rains. Should I let them be and see if she sits on them or should I leave one and take the ones she lays and try to incubate them myself? Please help its going to rain here this afternoon.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If you have a good incubator, try leaving one and take the other 2.

3. Hen House 60

Jan 9, 2009
    I think I will. I just finished my very first chicken hatch. I have 20 chicks so I did something right.
    Should I take the egg from her each day? For how long? Also how do I store the ones I collect? I want to put them in the bator all at the same time.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Carolyn

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Does she have a mate for fertile eggs? Usually the first eggs aren't fertile for awhile.

You can collect them and wash them and use them i place of chicken eggs. They make great cakes. I made waffles this morning with fresh duck eggs and they were fabulous!

5. Hen House 60

Jan 9, 2009
    I do not want to eat them.
    She does have a mate and they have been getting along VERY nicely! They have been inseperable for a few weeks now. I don't know if this breed is good at sitting/hatching the or if I should take them?

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The first eggs of the season usually aren't fertile. I would crack a few and look for the visible signs of fertility. If you want ducklings I would recommend incubating them yourself. She may not go broody anytime soon and all those lovely eggs would be lost. Wait until you see signs of her being broody before leaving eggs in her nest for her to hatch. Just like chickens some ducks never go broody or have interest in hatching eggs. Others can be like silkies and hatch everything from golfballs to doorknobs. LOL

7. Hen House 60

Jan 9, 2009
    Great Thanks for the advice.
    Do I stire them the same as chicken eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by