1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rouen ducks - show or production?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Alicia Jude, May 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Alicia Jude

Alicia Jude New Egg

May 18, 2017
    How can you tell if you have show Rouens or production rouens? We have some that are about 5 weeks old that are getting adult feathers and already rather large, but I'm curious if it can be determined if they are show or production at this age. Thanks!

2. Alicia Jude

Alicia Jude New Egg

May 18, 2017
    IMG_1476.JPG IMG_1493.JPG IMG_1494.JPG IMG_1476.JPG Here are some pictures of them

3. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Where did you get them from? If they were bought from a hatchery, then they will be production. Even if they were bought from a show breeder, something like 1/3 ducklings will be SQ.

You will only be able to tell once they are fully feathered and fully grown.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yep....You won't know till they mature....:frow

5. Alicia Jude

Alicia Jude New Egg

May 18, 2017
    We got them from rural king, a feeder supply type store. I was excited once they started getting their adult feathers because it looks like they are both girls, so they'd be egg layers, because I had read that their eggs are much more nutritious and larger than chicken eggs. But then read about the difference between show and production and realized I may be disappointed in that department. Haha

chickens really likes this.
  6. Alicia Jude

Alicia Jude New Egg

May 18, 2017
    Also, this is our first time raising ducklings. I always thought it would be fun, and I was totally right. Still learning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by