Rouen Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MargaretAnneHK, Mar 30, 2018.

1. MargaretAnneHK

MargaretAnneHK Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    So what is everyones experience with Rouen ducks? This week after goose eggs and the single green duck egg hatch, I will be incubating. Rouen eggs and Bourbon Red turkey eggs.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

3. blayt90

blayt90 Crowing

Jan 11, 2018
    Magee, Mississippi
    My Coop
    I am on my second set of duck eggs and I have had a good hatch rate so far. I loved my ducks ready for my little ones to grow up.

CayugaJana and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. MargaretAnneHK

MargaretAnneHK Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    Hi, do you have Rouens? I am beyond excited to get my eggs. :) Another reason reason I am so interested is that my mother had this breed on their family farm when she was growing up.

CayugaJana, blayt90 and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. blayt90

blayt90 Crowing

Jan 11, 2018
    Magee, Mississippi
    My Coop
    I do and did I am down to three little ones and 9 eggs in the incubator because my older ducks were killed the other day by some dogs.

6. MargaretAnneHK

MargaretAnneHK Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    Oh no!:( Im so sorry. :(

blayt90 likes this.
  7. MargaretAnneHK

MargaretAnneHK Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    My female mastiff guards "her" birds jealously so I have been lucky so far.

CayugaJana, Miss Lydia and blayt90 like this.
  8. Mademoiselle_JubJub

Mademoiselle_JubJub Chirping

Jul 18, 2017
    Alaska
    I have two female Rouens. I've found them to be quite, consistent layers, and skittish. The skittishness might be from the way they were raised before I got them. They were adults, and in a large pen with a bunch of other ducks and chickens that had very little human interaction. I wouldnt recommend the exhibition type, as they are ungainly and prone to injury, at least in my experience. Both of my Rouens went broody last summer, the exhibition duck was a wonderful mother (except the times she stumbled onto her ducklings). The production strain Rouen duck was a great broody but a wretched mother, leaving her ducklings out in the rain while she tried getting to the drakes in the other pen.
    Both Rouens were introduced into an established trio, and quickly settled in without to much hoopla. The only odd thing is both ducks do not like to spend time in the pool. I cant get them in for love or money. Not sure if it is a breed thing, or that they spent a good chunk of life without access to a swimming area.
    All in all, I would recommend them if you want reliable egg layers, that tend to role with the punches.

CayugaJana, Miss Lydia and blayt90 like this.
  9. blayt90

blayt90 Crowing

Jan 11, 2018
    Magee, Mississippi
    My Coop
    Mine loved the water.

10. Shorty0228

Shorty0228 In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2018
    I love my rouens, I had 5, incubated 9 eggs got 3 babies, I'm down too 2 due to coyotes getting the momma and her two babies. I love owning ducks and the baby ducklings are adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: