rouen ducks ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dylan729, Apr 17, 2012.

1. dylan729

dylan729 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    Castroville,TX
    Someone I live by is selling rouen ducks and I was just wondering ur opinions on the birds

2. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I wished I had one, but instead I got a Mallard (they look very much alike). From what I hear, they are too big to fly.. so that's a good thing!

3. dylan729

Apr 5, 2012
    Castroville,TX
    Ya that's why I want them going to pick them up either saturday or sunday. Can't wait, built a new coop just for them.

4. Benvoska

Benvoska New Egg

Apr 18, 2012
    I used to have them and I loved them, they laid a lot of eggs all year around, the only problem I had with them is that they took a long time to fatten up and I wanted them for the table more than for the eggs, so I've changed to Muscovys now.

But I do miss my little group.

5. dylan729

Apr 5, 2012
    Castroville,TX
    Lol that's nice. Were they loud?

6. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I love mine. They are large and calm and only loud when they think they are getting some peas. I would definitely get some more.

7. TwinMama2x

TwinMama2x Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Glasgow, Montana
    I have rouens. They are friendly birds, good brooders and great parents! I didn't build a separate house for them...they sleep outside mostly on the bank of the pond but sometimes will go in the chicken house and sleep there if they feel like it. Mine are free range.

8. dylan729

Apr 5, 2012
    Castroville,TX
    That's good to know

9. Benvoska

Benvoska New Egg

Apr 18, 2012
    Yes, Dylan. I did find them loud, but then they were living free range with geese so one would set the other off, put in some chickens and all hell would brake out in the morning before they settled into their spots for the day!! I hope yours are doing okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by