Rouen eats her poop, possible bacterial infection??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shannong139, Dec 11, 2014.

1. shannong139

shannong139 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    Portage, Indiana
    Hello, my 7 month old rouen recently got into the habit of eating her poo. She's an inside duck, so unless I grab it up right after it comes out she'll go for it. She dirties her water container doing this also, she eat the poop then go clean her mouth in her water. The other day when I came home from work it was filthy so I had to empty clean and refill it. Anyway, I just noticed maybe two days ago she is breathing a little heavily at times. I gave her a nice warm bath last night, since it's cold in Indiana and I don't have a pond she'll be bathing inside, but it didn't help anything. When I was home earlier she laid down with me and was breathing normal then started breathing heavily again so it's not necessarily a constant problem.

Just wondering if anybody had any type of insight into this. Googling the symptoms I had basically come up with either a bacterial infection from e. coli or pneumonia. She stayed the night at the vet last week due to egg binding and I don't know if they had her outside overnight or not.

Thanks much!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I wonder if she had a small rope, tied very very securely at one end so she cannot swallow it, tied up so the end is about eye level for her might keep her more interested in playing with that than with poo.

My Runners - oh, mercy, they would fling poop all over the brooder!

They don't seem to do it so much now. They are indoor-outdoor ducks. Their night shelter and storm shelter is in the walkout basement. And they have each other for amusement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by