1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rouen egg hatching

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayou bird, Mar 12, 2016.

1. bayou bird

bayou bird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2015
    I'm new to this so please forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what to do.

We've got a rouen that has been sitting on eggs for at least 28 days.

We were gathering the eggs but decided to let her sit on some to see if they would hatch. We are over 28 days since we decided to leave her eggs with her. I haven't candled any and I'm just guessing they are fertilized (the drake loves to mate more than a teenage boy). What should I do? Should I gather the eggs and start over? Is there any chance they will hatch? She didn't sit on them religiously during the first week or so, but has been very attentive to her clutch the last 3 weeks.

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    You need to candle them to see if there is any movement.
    They might hatch late since she didn't sit on them alot during the 1st week

BCP

3. bayou bird

Aug 29, 2015
    Thank you for the response. So I'll actually be able to see movement? I've never looked at a candled egg before so I'll have to ask Google what I'm really looking for.

4. bayou bird

Aug 29, 2015
    Holy cow!!! There's actually babies in there. I saw some movement and vibrant blood vessels. We are actually brooding some baby ducks!!

How should I prepare for their arrival? Do I need to seperate the hen and eggs some the drake he can't mess with them? What about water and feed? What type of feed should I prepare for them?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

6. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    I am so glad you saw movement! That means you will have baby ducklings soon!
    Were the eggs mostly dark? That means they are after day 18 and are almost ready to hatch.
    Please keep us updated on babies.
    I always separate the mom and babies to a separate pen with a kiddie pool(Because if they are left on the pond the turtles get them[​IMG])
    Then you just feed them chick starter. But keep them safe from predators.
    Is this your first time seeing baby ducklings?
    If you need any help ask @MissLydia she knows alot about waterfowl.

BCP

7. bayou bird

Aug 29, 2015
    Yes, this is my first time. They looked pretty dark. Some looked like they were more mature than others, but overall I feel pretty good about their survival up to this point. I plan to seperate hen and babies and provide some type of duckling appropriate starter feed. I've done a bit of homework on this site to help me prepare. I'd be lost with the forums input!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by