rouen eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckman11032, Mar 4, 2009.

1. duckman11032

duckman11032 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    so my hen has started laying eggs in her nest, my question is does she sit(rather will she sit ) on them or do I need to collect them I would rather her be the mother. I am hoping she sits on them at night.

does anyone know if she is sitting on them, does the rouen breed do that?I would love to have young but if they wont make it I will incubate them.

any info or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks

michael

[​IMG]

2. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Rouen's will sit. She may not have enough eggs yet or be ready to. give her time, if she is going to go broody she will.
    Julie

3. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from SC

Just leave the eggs alone, she will wait until she has around 9-15 eggs and she will begin to set if she goes broody.

Best Of Luck!

-Austin

4. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Oh I didn't see you were new. Glad you joined [​IMG]

Julie from TN

5. duckman11032

Mar 3, 2009
    what does it mean when ya all say , "go broody"????

thanks michael

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It would actually depend on what your nighttime temperatures are. If it is still dropping below freezing at night, the eggs would be no good most likely. They would probably freeze.

I have one rouen duck, but this is my first season with her. I have read that rouens are not very broody, meaning that they can set the eggs, but probably won't. They are more likely to than the pekins, but that's not saying much, as pekins are not supposed to be a broody duck. I would take the eggs and put dummies in the nest, then if she does go broody give the eggs back to her. At least that way you'll know they aren't getting too cold at night.

7. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    had good luck with my rouens setting broody means the hen is ready to start setting on eggs

8. duckman11032

Mar 3, 2009
    [​IMG] ok sounds good, I can see that at night she sits on them she has made a little nest area and it seems she only sits on them in the night, she only has 3 eggs soo all is well.....

yeah the coldest at night it gets here in washington is maybe 40 degrees so I am not to worried!!!!

thanks

michael:cool:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by