Rouen Hen lethargic vomiting

Fossy116

Hatching
May 19, 2021
I have a rouen hen that vomited once yesterday that I witnessed. It was brownish water. She is acting lethargic and weak. When she tries to walk she stumbles after a while. She had something similar happen about 5 weeks ago. But I never seen her vomit. She stopped laying eggs the last time. I thought her mate was over mating her. But since she recovered and went back outside with him he hasn’t mated her much. She has been drinking I don’t think eating. I have her in the bathtub with electrolytes and wet food. None of my other ducks are acting sick or like her.

Welcome to BYC.
How is your duck doing today?
If you have access to a veterinarian familiar with birds, do you think you could bring her there?
If that is not an option, could you provide some pictures of the bird, as well as any droppings being produced?
There are a variety of conditions that can cause what you're seeing, so until you can get a decent idea of what's going on, you'll want to provide some supportive care, to ensure her condition doesn't deteriorate.
Supportive care for birds often includes housing them in a warm area, especially if they are not eating. We would want that area to be dim, and quiet, and away from any other animals such as dogs that may distress them further.
If she is willing to drink, continue with the electrolytes daily. To help track her state of health, consider getting a baseline weight on her now using a gram scale, and weight daily to see if that decreases - generally if there is a 5-10% decrease in weight we would want to start to implement supplemental oral tube feeding.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/
As with any diagnosis, a physical examination can provide valuable clues to as what might be going on.
If there is vomiting, I would be particularly concerned with the gastrointestinal system and would be looking inside her mouth, palpating her abdominal area, crop, checking around her vent, and examining her fecal matter for abnormalities.
If you see something abnormal, compare it to a healthy duck to see if your suspicions are correct. Please post back here with any info.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry

Thank you for responding. She’s still weak she’s lost weight for sure. She isn’t eating only drinking. Her poop is normal liquify greenish. She ate some peas but that’s it. She keeps doing a thing with her mouth like she is trying to clear phlegm. She has been foraging with her mate/drake. But also just stands in the run looking dazed. I realized last night all her symptoms started when we introduced 3 new ducklings to our flock. She is not with them but will be eventually. I’m wondering if this stressed her enough and she has gape worms on top of it now? We have a local vet but of course they have been closed this week and don’t open up till Monday. And that’s if I can get In on Monday. I’m at a loss of what to do or give her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom