1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rouen Hen still laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dancinbaer, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Dancinbaer

Dancinbaer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Northeast Wisconsin
    This spring our Rouen hen laid 19 eggs, 10 hatched (early July). Late September she started laying again. She's been pretty regular at one egg per day. Is this normal?

We got our drake and hen last year when they were about 7 weeks old. She started laying her first few eggs around this time last year then stopped mid- November. Laid 8 in a nest around late March then stopped until the 19 in late May. We let her lay on the 8 but then started finding one or two at a time smashed outside the nest.

It was my understanding they only laid in the Spring.

Thanks,

Denny

2. MsPoultry

MsPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Well rouens are a heavy breed so she could have been accidentally smashing them and then would push them away from the good eggs or she could have smashed one on accident liked the taste of it and started to eat them slowly one by one like one of my hens did.Ducks also mostly lay in spring and summer but if healthy and well cared for will lay in fall as well.

Hope I helped :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by