Rouen Hen turning into a Drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kackley33, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Kackley33

Kackley33 Chirping

May 27, 2009
    I have six ducks, 5 are Rouen and 1 is a Cayuga. I have one drake (a Rouen), the rest are hens. They are all between 6 and 8 years old. One of the Rouen hens has started to look increasingly like a drake. Her head is turning green. She now has a distinct white collar/stripe around her neck. She has the start of a curly tail feather and more of her other feathers are turning into the distinctive grey feathering that Rouen drakes have. It is the weirdest thing. She's 8 and hatched out four ducklings 6 years ago. I read somewhere that ducks can indeed change sex though it is very rare. At the very least, she is definitely changing her feathering to look more like a drake. Just curious is anyone else has seen this? 2018-03-23_14.21.58.jpg

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Had no idea ducks could o this as well.Chickens do it,but it’s much more common to what about them a duck.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I think as they age it's a hormonal imbalance that causes this. I have a 6 yr old EE hen that crows.

thumper650 and Julie Birb like this.
  4. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    She's very cute and round.

CarleeAnn likes this.
  5. snick4zoo

snick4zoo In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    Southeastern WI
    I have a three year old duck who in the last couple of months has gotten a curly tail feather and her voice has changed too. So weird!!!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Hormones is the cause most likely. I have an EE hen who crows. Is your duck still laying?

7. snick4zoo

snick4zoo In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    Southeastern WI
    I am not sure. All my flock have really slowed down laying since the weather turned up here in WI. She has always been the one who thought she needed to protect her sisters. She is not trying to mate with any of my chickens or changed her behaviors towards me or her sisters.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: