Rouen lover

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GrassyKnollFarm, Apr 9, 2019.

1. GrassyKnollFarm

GrassyKnollFarm In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2019
    I bought four unsexed ducks last year from TSC. Not knowing breeds, we picked two ducklings I assumed were Pekin and two that I thought may be khaki Campbell or Rouen.
    I ended up with two female Buff and two male Rouen ducks. The sweetest ducks ever.
    This winter I turned their baby pool upside down so they wouldn’t jump in ice water. A couple weeks after seeing mating behaviors I found 11 eggs. No one was sitting on them so I brought them in and called TSC. I ended up with two ducklings that were incubated from a 7 egg Brinsea. The next week 11 more eggs! Then 3 went missing. Then my flock and all eggs were killed by a weasel. He had a tunnel system under the baby pool! Took one female and left the remaining three dead. I am heartbroken .
    Good news my ducklings are 3 weeks old and doing well. They have the Rouen head stripe but are not black and dark brown. More of a lighter brown. No idea of sex but thinking of adding some more while they are young.

2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to BYC! :frow I am so sorry for your losses! Bear hugs! :hugs

3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Please make yourself at home.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

sourland, Texas Kiki, N F C and 6 others like this.
  4. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Free Ranging

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. :hugs Have you got a plan in place for future predators?

Feel free to check out the links below for some interesting reading. Good luck on your adventures!

5. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Welcome to BackYard Chickens! Thanks for joining! :frow

Sorry for your losses! Pictures of your setup would be helpful, then we can see what might need to be changed to keep predators out next time.

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Hello and Welcome! Sorry for your loss and congrats on the ducklings.

7. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

8. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

9. FlappyFeathers

FlappyFeathers Crossing the Road

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    byc-duckling.png
    hithere.gif Oh dear, I'm so sorry that happened to you. :hugs
    Weasels are just so nasty, I'm glad I don't have them near where I live. You'll definitely need to research how to protect from weasel attacks now that it knows about your happy hunting ground.
    Best wishes expanding your flock!

10. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

So sorry for your loss :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: