Rouen Male ducks getting aggressive to dogs

polenslager

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
post falls Idaho
I have three Rouen Drakes.. we got them as babies this spring. The last couple of weeks they have gotten aggressive
with one of my dashounds. I have two dashhounds, two large dogs, 11 chickens, three cats and so on. The ducks ignore
the large dogs, the cats and the one dashound they leave alone pretty much.
No female ducks so its not that.. the feed store where I got them said they do that and have a pecking order among themselves
as well as with other species.. and that my little dog is an easy target. They keep at it, pull her skin ect.. so far she has
not hurt them, they seem to have the upper hand (bill?)
Even if she gets on the duck, growls ect they don't give up..

Is there anything I might try to get them to stop? If I stand out there, they still try it. If I charge at them they back off
till my back is turned. The garden hose (spraying them) will make them back off for a couple of minuets.. but not long.
any ideas? I may try to find them a home if possible but until then its miserable

They live in the chicken house with the chickens, they are let out each morning and are free range. So I want to leave them
out, the house area open so the chickens can get back in to lay ect..

so any suggestions would be great!

Make them a run attached to the chicken/duck house that the dog can't break into and let them out into this area to keep them separated from the dog. Only let them free-range if the dog is shut inside the house. You will not be able to change the drakes' behaviour and it sounds as though your dog is reaching the end of his patience. Growling is not too much of a step before biting. So that's why I'd keep them physically separated before it ends badly.

70%cocoa :

Make them a run attached to the chicken/duck house that the dog can't break into and let them out into this area to keep them separated from the dog. Only let them free-range if the dog is shut inside the house. You will not be able to change the drakes' behaviour and it sounds as though your dog is reaching the end of his patience. Growling is not too much of a step before biting. So that's why I'd keep them physically separated before it ends badly.

X 2 Good advice given. The drakes are beecoming sexually mature. For some reason they have decided that the dog just might do. Watch that they do not start breeding your hens as that can potentially injure the chickens.​

X3 if your dog is getting fed up you need to protect your ducks. Seperate pen or the dogs only outside with supervision as long as they are trained and will listen to you.

I, luckily, don't have that problem. My drakes started getting aggressive with my dogs (even with females) but the dogs, 4 Shih Tzu and a Papillon, now they just avoid them or (with one) just sits there through a bit of bumping by the drake and maybe an ear pull does nothing and eventually the duck loses interest.

Boy do I understand. I have a full out war all day between two Rouen drakes and my 6 pound male poodle! He seems to love it, but they hate him. However they have been known to chase him all the way to the deck and the door and get him till he screams. But now I'm worried about them. He got one by the wing and didn't let go till I went after him. He listens to me, but the ducks hate everyone.
We will be completing our fence soon, but now I worry about the chickens. So far they only seem to terrorize my dog who part of the time thinks it's a game. The big dog doesn't even notice when they come after her.....they've never actually gotten her. And they avoid the cat like she avoids them. They even come after me till I point and tell them to stop.
We got them as babies and tried to hold them often. Sadly they have NEVER liked us one bit! They don't like anything or anyone but each other and now they are even fighting amongst themselves. I feel maybe they need somewhere they will be happier. But where? Is our yard not enough. We only have a half acre. Should they be on a farm with several other ducks. Our neighbors have a male and female Rouen and they don't seem aggressive like ours....but boy are ours interested in them.

Boy do I understand. I have a full out war all day between two Rouen drakes and my 6 pound male poodle! He seems to love it, but they hate him. However they have been known to chase him all the way to the deck and the door and get him till he screams. But now I'm worried about them. He got one by the wing and didn't let go till I went after him. He listens to me, but the ducks hate everyone.
We will be completing our fence soon, but now I worry about the chickens. So far they only seem to terrorize my dog who part of the time thinks it's a game. The big dog doesn't even notice when they come after her.....they've never actually gotten her. And they avoid the cat like she avoids them. They even come after me till I point and tell them to stop.
We got them as babies and tried to hold them often. Sadly they have NEVER liked us one bit! They don't like anything or anyone but each other and now they are even fighting amongst themselves. I feel maybe they need somewhere they will be happier. But where? Is our yard not enough. We only have a half acre. Should they be on a farm with several other ducks. Our neighbors have a male and female Rouen and they don't seem aggressive like ours....but boy are ours interested in them.
welcome-byc.gif
you really need to separate your drakes from contact with your dog, The dog has now gotten hold of one and it's only a matter of time till you find one dead, or both, My gander was bad for nipping at the dogs when they walked past him till one day my med size dog had enough and grabbed him by the neck, thank goodness I was there to see it and called her off of him. Needless to say I began training, for the geese and the dog. I have a long piece of PVC it's thin, I carry with me when we're outside and the dogs and flock are all mingling, if the geese start acting like they are going to bully the dogs I put the PVC between them and they stop. I have even touched them with it. Key word Touched. It really doesn't take long to train I had never had my dogs respond to the nipping before so just didn't do anything about it. Your drakes are just being drakes, hormones get the best of them and since there are no females around they are acting out their frustrations on anyone or anything. I'm surprised they aren't trying to rape your chickens. If they do it will kill them because they are not sexually compatible, finding them a suitable home where they can be with other ducks maybe your best bet at this point. Or getting fencing done sooner than later to keep the boys out of trouble.

I don't even know what x i'd be at but i fully agree. My dogs and Muscovy all manage to co-mingle that said I wouldn't tolerate any behaviour to the contrary, i even keep the horses in line with the ducks and ensure they know what is okay and what is not.

Everyone can get hurt, and no on wants that.

Back
Top Bottom