Rouen Mallard losing colour! Help please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ae0smith, Jul 23, 2013.

1. ae0smith

ae0smith New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    Hello. I have an adult Rouen Mallard. he is probably around 3-3.5 years old ( we adopted him from someone who adopted ). His Green head feathers are starting to turn brown and I'm not sure why. Also his beak isn't a vibrant yellow and looks "patchy" almost like its flaking/chipping? We did move 9 months ago and he sadly lost one of his females during a pond mating about 3 months back. Could it be stress? He is fed well and all our other ducks ( Rouen Mallard/Khakis, Khakis, and Runner/Rouen Mallards ) are all doing great no feather or bill issues at all.

Does this happen from stress? Age? Habitat? ( they live in an 8X10 barn and are let out at 8am and put in at 8pm ). I really hope he isn't sick and if so would like to help him asap

That's him before Easter, One of his ladies in the pick has passed. He looks better in the photo, he has brown feathers coming up almost to the top of his head and coming back from his bill now

[​IMG]

2. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    He's molting into basic plumage...when completed, he will molt his wing feathers, and when that is completed, he will start molting back into alternate (breeding) plumage. nothing is rong.

Clint

3. ae0smith

ae0smith New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    Thank You so much! This is our first group of ducks and our first hatching season so we are still learning. Really appreciate it!

4. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Yes, he is moulting and [​IMG]. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by