Rouen or mallard?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovin my birds, Mar 27, 2011.

1. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I bought two little what i thought were rouens at the local feed store. The said thats what they were. But i have neen looking at pictures of both and now am not sure. Now this might hust beme hoping that i have mallards but i will let you guys decide. I know rouens have two stripes on their faces and mallards have one with a dot. But mine have one line through the eye and like just a little line underneath. The pictures i have seen have had tow destinct line for rouens. Is this the only way to tell them apart when they are young?

Note: they both love to dive. They will submerge thamselves and swim along the bottom of the bath tub and not come up for a while. [​IMG] Its so cute! I know all ducks Half dive in the water to skim for food. But like i said these guys go under completely. Didnt know if this was comon in rouen or mallard.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Will try and gets some pics on here tomorrow or tuesday.

2. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Could you post pics? The way you described it they sound like Mallards. Also, all ducks LOVE the water! Try putting some peas in the bath water, and watch them go crazy diving for them! [​IMG]

ETA: Just saw that you are going to put pics up... I'll be watching this thread. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

If they look like this they are Rouens..

[​IMG]

And as ducklings they love to dive underwater.. lol..

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Dont you just love it when your ducks learn to be skuba divers. I can sit and watch mine in the bath forever playing round. Dont go throwing peas in if they have never had them before, 1 its going to scare them, 2 whole peas are to big for little ducks and they need them to be mashed up. So before you put the in the bath and clean their brooder ,give them some mashed up peas in some water and let them eat pea soup, once they are a bit older you can throw them in the bath whole and watch them dive for them.

5. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Little torpedos!!!! I love when they dive under and just circle the tub. They look like penguins!

6. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Thanks for all the replies. I have pretty much decided they are rouen. I know it only been a day but they do grow fast. So since yesterday the lines on their faces have gotten i little bit more noticable. Lol! [​IMG]

gofasterstripe: yes they are addorible when they do that. I have given them the mashed peas and they love it. One day they got mad because they accidentaly saw me feeding their comradesl, which are two weeks older, whole peas. [​IMG] They got very jealous! They went and hid in their little brooder and didnt come back out for a while. And i swear it looked like one was about to cry. And the looks on their faces was "why dont we get whole peas". [​IMG] But then i gave them some more crushed peas that night and they got over it.

duckking: They do look very much like penguins. Its so cute! But they are the only two out of the six that do it. The other five just swim and bob their heads under the water. They are still cute though. [​IMG]

7. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    So i said i would post pics of the rouens. So here they are. They look scard because they didnt like the camera. Poor babies they were cuddling up against my arms until i brought out the camera. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Oh MY!!!! They grow so fast!!!! They are gorgeous! Definitely Rouens. Interesting to see if you have a couple. I have a Rouen drake and hen and 3 mallard hens and the size difference is amazing - not that that deters my drake........

9. KateB39

KateB39 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Your ducklings look just like my ducklings . I have rouens . Rouens look like a mallard but at alot heavier . Congrats on your new babies !

10. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Im hoping i have a pair to. But i would be okay with whatever. But i really really want at least one to be a male. They are so beautiful and i want the color in my flock. My other four are khaki and anconas. So if i get a male he will definately stand out in the crowd.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by