Rouen or Mallard?

GordieH

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
West Texas
One of the workers at the feed store told me this was a Mallard and another said it was a Rouen. Now that she is starting to feather out I am sure it is a she but, I am wondering which she is. She is about 7 - 8 weeks old as are the White Pekins and the Black Cayuga with her.

99442_ducks_071611.jpg

Its a rouen, mallards would be smaller. Also males will feather out in female colour first then male, so gender is still wide open on that one. The voice will change before the final adult colour will come in so you should be able to tell by the voice way before it get male colouring(if its male).

Australian spotteds colour in all hen coloured first too, but I vent sexed mine and I have 4 males and 3 females. In a couple months they will get the drake colouration.

It's a hatchery type Rouen.
If it was a Mallard she would be much smaller and you would have to get a Federal Migratory Bird Permit.

Chris

KEWL. I didn't want to have to donate it to the local Zoo. They have a huge lake and park for their pleasure. But people think it is okay to feed them white bread and other food which is bad for them. A couple of them there have Slipped or Angel Wings.

Females go Quack Quack and males go Squeaky quack, Squeaky quack. Correct?

TY all very much.

Back
Top Bottom