rouen, pekin, saxony or what?

muus

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 16, 2013
Today hatched 4 ducklings that I bought as rouens(here in spain we call rouen to all the large ducks like pekin and saxony), but they look the same as pekin ducklings. The person who I bought eggs from have the whites and the colourful in diferents places. The question is what breed is this duck?

Thanks

Last edited:

muus

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 16, 2013
This is one of the ducklings, they are all the same.

Thanks

muus

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 16, 2013
Nice ducklings, you probably have mixed breed on hand so it's difficult to say. Once they grow and are fully feathered, you'll know for sure.

What type of mixed breed are you saying? Saxony/rouen x pekin maybe?
The different breeds are in diferent pens, it's imposible to mix.
Thanks

Kathy farms

Chirping
Mar 11, 2015
Cape Coast
What type of mixed breed are you saying? Saxony/rouen x pekin maybe?
The different breeds are in diferent pens, it's imposible to mix.
Thanks

The mixing probably are not from the current parents if you indeed keep them separate and they have no contact whatsoever. However, are the parents pure breeds themselves or a mix? If the are from a mixed ancestry, then any of the dormant genes can appear in the future generation as you are seeing now.

A nice read on genetics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/410593/understanding-basic-colour-genetics-mallards-derivitives

Last edited:

muus

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 16, 2013
It could be what are you saying but the fathers were bought in a bird exposition where only admit pure breeds. They where bought together but I don't know the breed of each one, the male seems to be aaxony and the females look like rouen clair.

Kathy farms

Chirping
Mar 11, 2015
Cape Coast
It could be what are you saying but the fathers were bought in a bird exposition where only admit pure breeds. They where bought together but I don't know the breed of each one, the male seems to be aaxony and the females look like rouen clair.
Well, then it's a bit difficult to know for certain since one can't tell for sure the extent to which the mix go. Irrespective, I think you have very nice ducklings and in a couple of weeks we will know for sure how they look.

muus

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 16, 2013
Well, then it's a bit difficult to know for certain since one can't tell for sure the extent to which the mix go. Irrespective, I think you have very nice ducklings and in a couple of weeks we will know for sure how they look.

That's true, they are very cute and very soon I'll tell you what they are, luckily they have a fast growth.

Top Bottom