Rouens and Pekins?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LucyLucky, Jan 20, 2015.

1. LucyLucky

LucyLucky Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    hi, I need some advice or knowledge about how pekins and rouens are together. I have 2, 10month old female pekins now (they are so sweet and calm) and im planning on getting to more ducks this spring. I am wondering if getting 1 pekin and 1 Rouen duckling is a good idea? I don't know if ther Rouen will get along with the pekins or vice versa? If anyone has any suggestions as what I should do like get 2 more pekins or get 2 rouens or 1 of each..?

thank you

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I don't see why you couldn't get one of each if you wanted. It all depends on each individual duck.

No matter what breed you get there will be a little disarray in the beginning. They'll need some time to get used to eachother. Also, as long as they're female you should be alright. The only time I would really, really worry is if you had too many drakes versus ducks.

Good luck with your flock :)

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Welcome to BYC!

I agree with the above poster. You should be fine to mix those two breeds if you choose to go that route.

4. abudka

abudka New Egg

Jan 20, 2015
    We have Rouens and Pekins together. They were all raised as ducklings together, so that helps. They are the best of friends, never more than five feet apart. Even the males are very friendly with each other, but that may just be these particular ducks. I don't think they know they aren't the same breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by