1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rouens building a nest

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jruhle, Apr 10, 2012.

1. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    My Rouen ducks are building a nest in the duck yard and have been laying for only a week. They were laying them in their duck house but now two ducks are laying in the nest in the yard. They covered the eggs up real good with moss. I was wondering if I leave the eggs alone and let them keep laying if they will sit and hatch them eventually? I really want to hatch some ducklings naturally. Or should I collect the eggs and keep them clean until they are ready to sit? Any suggestions would be great!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I never hatch the first two weeks of egg laying. These usually aren't the best canidates for hatching. I'd collect for the next week or so then after that let them lay in their nest. After awhile they'll start sitting and you'll have babies in no time!

3. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I'll give it a try! I was real suprised to find 4 eggs today when I only have 3 hens! It's turning into an easter egg hunt. That will give me time to fortify their yard. I have to lock them up when I go to work because we have eagles and dogs trying to eat them all the time. Thanks for the reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by