1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rouens free range

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keatonskeets, Aug 31, 2009.

1. keatonskeets

keatonskeets Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    We have two Rouen ducklings and a creek in our backyard. I 'd love to let them free, but I'm afraid of predators getting them. Do they have any form of defense? or are they just "sitting ducks"?[​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sitting ducks. They can't even fly away.

Domestic ducks need a secure night pen to protect them. It can even be illegal to release them in your area. It varies from state to state.

Free ranging during the day they might be ok, but definitely they need a night pen. The biggest threat during the day is stray dogs.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  3. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

my Rouens get to free range, when i'm home i let them go run the back yard, but when were gone they get locked back up

4. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    My rouens free range during the day and go inside at night.

5. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Putting them away at night is a defo YES ! i leave my chickens out all night but they have a good defence system, claws, beck and high in numbers, so i would recomend you lock them away at night!

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

you should lock your chickens up at night too, because as scratchy and pecky as they can be, they are a tasty snack for foxes, raccoons, owls and other predators.

7. rlhbond

rlhbond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Mocksville, NC
    I actually let my ducks free range day and night....but....I raise them inside the barn so they naturally put themselves up in the barn at night when they are adults. They could go out if they wanted, but they stay in the barn all night. I also have 2 miniature donkeys that sleep in the barn at night. Donkeys have a natural dislike for all canines and will chase any coyotes or foxes away. This helps keep the birds safe. A crafty animal could still get to them but so far-so good.

8. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

chickensducks&agoose :

you should lock your chickens up at night too, because as scratchy and pecky as they can be, they are a tasty snack for foxes, raccoons, owls and other predators.

I secound that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by