Rouens

Dingleberry

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 22, 2010
Woodinville, Wa
Do Rouens fly? should I clip their wings? Also Any thoughts to the genders?
55125_dsc03114.jpg
55125_dsc03113.jpg

Those look like mallards to me... maybe it's just the picture. I don't know if its age or season or what but my males (mallards and rouen) are developing the green head and grey bodies by now, they were born on Valentine's day so they are 3 months old. My guess is females.

updated pictures They were hatched about March 13th. One of them seems to have a slight green tint to his head, They now" Quack" different from each other.
55125_dsc03123.jpg
55125_dsc03124.jpg

Rouens do not fly, so there's no need to trim their wings. They may get about an inch off the ground for about 5 feet, but that's about it. I have some that are about the same age as yours. I have noticed that my male's coloration is darker than the females, but they are also just starting to molt. The best way to tell is by their voices. My females are loud when they talk, and the male sounds hoarse-there's a very distinctive difference in the way they sound. Hope this helps.

Also wanted to add that my male's beak is kinda green looking.

Last edited:
My back yard has roughly a 35 ft drop over a few hundred feet, in a decent breeze my rouens could fly down the hill. Past that not so much. My runner drake could get some pretty serious height in similar conditions though
big_smile.png

Rouens can fly but no more then 100ft and they don't get very far off the ground. Mine only "fly" when really startled. At about 15 weeks males will start to get their green heads and the white ring around their neck. They also turn a gray color and have broader feathers. Until then you can tell the difference between them as a male has a paler yellow or greenish bill whereas females are orange.

Back
Top Bottom