Rouens

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
So I am down to a pair of muscovy. Another BYCer in my area contacted me about a chicken swap she is hosting and also said she had Rouen hatching eggs available. Since I don't have an incubator, she is hatching them for me.
They went in the bator on 1/6 so I'm thinking the first week of February I'll have some babies! They were candled a few days ago and 6 of the 7 were looking good.

I never see much about rouens on here. Any info would be appreciated?

I met her pair and they are gorgeous and huge. I can't wait.
wee.gif

Oh and since I really wanted mostly girls, she set the incubator to female.
lau.gif

Isn't a lower temp female? I read that it don't work like that but when I watched a dhow about alligators I saw that is worked with them and I had been getting mostly males so I lowered it and I got ALL GIRLS! is it true that lower temp does that?

Isn't a lower temp female? I read that it don't work like that but when I watched a dhow about alligators I saw that is worked with them and I had been getting mostly males so I lowered it and I got ALL GIRLS! is it true that lower temp does that?

I'm not sure, we were just joking about it. Interesting possibiity though. I hope to either buy or build an incubator soon so it would be worth a shot.

Regarding the Rouens...

what you will probably get is somethinmg somewhere in the genetic chain between true Rouen and True Mallard. Since Rouen was bred from Mallard they tend to work back toward Mallard when the breeding is not perfect, but thats ok. The difference is mostly in size. Same green head on drakes, white neck ring if you;re lucky, beautiful white/blue stripes on wings with snow white underneath. Hens will be the thatch brown thats laced with distinctive brown trim, blue wing band and white underside. Same birds, they just come in small, medium , large and extra large.

Rouens will be in the area of 10+ lbs...hens almost as big as drakes. I have a pair that DO fly on a daily basis and are great pets, they're smart and capable of learning and they are as loyal as a hound dog. The hen can be very...vocal when she wants something. The drake can be quite mean when he's protecting his mate or when he is in the psycho-duck breeding cycles that they go thru.
Just a warning...the drakes are big enough to do some damage if they are angry or offended, so when yours is in the psycho-duck mode...just leave him alone. It'll pass in a couple days at most. Mine almost took my lip off once and has drawn blood before....you;ll know if its a bad time. The rest of the time they are as sweet as kittens. Nice, gentle and affectionate. My drake melts when I hold him and scratch his beak. Literally relaxes in my arms and falls asleep. Not that same bird that tried to kill me the week before, but I understand that its not his fault. Not his fault for him doing what his hormones force him to do. The mating instinct is strong and makes them a little crazy at times......... Psycho-duck.

If you get to about 5-6 mts old and they are still closer to 2 lbs...then they are more Mallard than Rouen. If they are smaller they can/will fly like a bird, but will stick around where they feel secure and well fed. My little Mallard hen flies thru the house (i know, bad habit but she ignores me) all the time and navigates furniture and ceiling fans with ease. My drake has taken a flight thru the house but that didn't end so well...since he is a LOT bigger and bigger means harder to stop. He tried to land on my desk and skidded across the top and took out a lamp and cordless phone not to mention a stack of papers..He learned his lesson the first time as far as flying indoors. Outdoors he is welcome to fly all he wants but the extent of that is usually to get back to where I am faster than walking. Ever had a 10-12 lb bird come flying AT you and try to land on your shoulder? That didn't work so well either...We still try every once in a while since I heal fairly quick. Duck toe-nails are pretty sharp. You notice things like that as they are sliding off your back while trying to hold on..

Either way or somewhere inbetween you will get a nice looking bird thats good at bonding with humans and pretty durable as a pet or member of the home. Personally I enjoy my big ducks alot. They seem to be less nervous and more able to sit and relax than the little Mallard, although she very sweet and friendly. The mallard might jump up and do a lap around the room...and thats always a surprize when you;re holding one that suddenly takes off...They LOVE baths...so train them to swim early...2nd or 3rd day. Shallow water until they get feathered in. Lots of greens and good chick starter and you'll see birds that grow in front of your eyes...there is something somewhere that says they grow as ducklings at a rate of nearly doubling in size every 10- days to 2 weeks. I thought that has to be a joke.....it is NOT. So, whatever containment that you have this week will be outgrown within 2 weeks. And to have good, bonded ducks you have to raise them indoors the first 6-8 weeks...sometimes up to 3 months. It comes down to your level of committment to them as pets or as livestock.
I'm sure you'll enjoying having them in your life... Few things are more entertaining than ducklings.

Good luck and have fun !
DD

Regarding the Rouens...

what you will probably get is somethinmg somewhere in the genetic chain between true Rouen and True Mallard. Since Rouen was bred from Mallard they tend to work back toward Mallard when the breeding is not perfect, but thats ok. The difference is mostly in size. Same green head on drakes, white neck ring if you;re lucky, beautiful white/blue stripes on wings with snow white underneath. Hens will be the thatch brown thats laced with distinctive brown trim, blue wing band and white underside. Same birds, they just come in small, medium , large and extra large.

Rouens will be in the area of 10+ lbs...hens almost as big as drakes. I have a pair that DO fly on a daily basis and are great pets, they're smart and capable of learning and they are as loyal as a hound dog. The hen can be very...vocal when she wants something. The drake can be quite mean when he's protecting his mate or when he is in the psycho-duck breeding cycles that they go thru.
Just a warning...the drakes are big enough to do some damage if they are angry or offended, so when yours is in the psycho-duck mode...just leave him alone. It'll pass in a couple days at most. Mine almost took my lip off once and has drawn blood before....you;ll know if its a bad time. The rest of the time they are as sweet as kittens. Nice, gentle and affectionate. My drake melts when I hold him and scratch his beak. Literally relaxes in my arms and falls asleep. Not that same bird that tried to kill me the week before, but I understand that its not his fault. Not his fault for him doing what his hormones force him to do. The mating instinct is strong and makes them a little crazy at times......... Psycho-duck.

If you get to about 5-6 mts old and they are still closer to 2 lbs...then they are more Mallard than Rouen. If they are smaller they can/will fly like a bird, but will stick around where they feel secure and well fed. My little Mallard hen flies thru the house (i know, bad habit but she ignores me) all the time and navigates furniture and ceiling fans with ease. My drake has taken a flight thru the house but that didn't end so well...since he is a LOT bigger and bigger means harder to stop. He tried to land on my desk and skidded across the top and took out a lamp and cordless phone not to mention a stack of papers..He learned his lesson the first time as far as flying indoors. Outdoors he is welcome to fly all he wants but the extent of that is usually to get back to where I am faster than walking. Ever had a 10-12 lb bird come flying AT you and try to land on your shoulder? That didn't work so well either...We still try every once in a while since I heal fairly quick. Duck toe-nails are pretty sharp. You notice things like that as they are sliding off your back while trying to hold on..

Either way or somewhere inbetween you will get a nice looking bird thats good at bonding with humans and pretty durable as a pet or member of the home. Personally I enjoy my big ducks alot. They seem to be less nervous and more able to sit and relax than the little Mallard, although she very sweet and friendly. The mallard might jump up and do a lap around the room...and thats always a surprize when you;re holding one that suddenly takes off...They LOVE baths...so train them to swim early...2nd or 3rd day. Shallow water until they get feathered in. Lots of greens and good chick starter and you'll see birds that grow in front of your eyes...there is something somewhere that says they grow as ducklings at a rate of nearly doubling in size every 10- days to 2 weeks. I thought that has to be a joke.....it is NOT. So, whatever containment that you have this week will be outgrown within 2 weeks. And to have good, bonded ducks you have to raise them indoors the first 6-8 weeks...sometimes up to 3 months. It comes down to your level of committment to them as pets or as livestock.
I'm sure you'll enjoying having them in your life... Few things are more entertaining than ducklings.

Good luck and have fun !
DD

Thanks for all of the info. I have met the pair that laid these eggs and they are HUGE so I think they'll be in the 10+ lb range. I am setting up an area of my duck run for the babies. I really don't want ducklings inside again
sickbyc.gif
Luckily its been in the 70's here.
I have muscovy and I am well aware of the strength in these large ducks (especially muscovy nails, ouch). I will not treat them as pets but as long as they are not freaking out at the sight of me, I'm okay. Anything friendlier than that is a bonus.

Cool....sounds like you know what you're in for. If there is a hen thats nested and broody there is little for you to do. They are pretty fair at raising their young. Only thing to watch out for is that if you take the eggs at the last minutes and hatch them, or allow your seller to hatch, whoever raises them HAS to treat them as orphans and keep them away from the drakes. If eggs are human hatched they usually cannot be returned to a hen. Idf ducklings are returned to the hen, even a broody hen with her own hatch they often get "culled" by the hen and the drakes takes care of business...They are rejects to the hen/flock and have to be hand raised quite often. Every once in a while you get lucky and find a docile hen that will take in orphan ducklings. Usually when eggs are incubator hatched its on you to raise them....indoors or out.
I'm not sure how, but hens Know when a duckling or egg is not theirs. They will roll bad eggs out of the nest as well as odd eggs. They will shun ducklings that are snuck into their hatch. Some sort of instinct. If there is a broody hen thats done this many many times she may be more accepting and not kick them out. I'm sure your seller has been down this road before so they'll know how to handle 'bator made ducklings.

Good luck with your new (soon) ducks!

Back
Top Bottom