Rough Breedin' Roos--SWOLLEN HEAD??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

My FAVORITE hen, Clementine & her sister got pecked badly by an over-zealous, young roo, trying to breed them on Saturday. They have all been together (every chicken I own), minus a few babies and one salmon bantam in the house--for about a month now...but the coop warmed up to 50 degrees on Saturday and it was like someone flipped a switch--I had six roosters crowing, who had all been silent, breedings like crazy and my FIRST egg since hatching everyone out in May/June/July!

Anyway, I came out to check on everyone & to lock them up in the coop (it was getting dark) and I saw BLOOD EVERYWHERE in the run! I thought I'd find a dead or close to death bird--but to my surprise, I found Clementine & her sister with pecked backs of their heads! Clementine was the worst. I immediately locked up the culprit roo and isolated the two hens from everyone else. I brought them inside, washed their wounds & put some Blu-Kote on them. I then mixed antibiotics in their water and have them extra feed. They were both eating & drinking and either seemed to be in pain. I also hard-boiled some eggs & mashed up shells & all for them.

Yesterday, Clementine's head was VERY swollen--to the point it looked FAKE--cartoon-like, etc. I freaked & brought her in the house. I re-cleaned the wound, upped her meds and decided to just watch her. Her sister was also swollen, but not as bad. I also cleaned her head. Later in the day yesterday, Clementine laid her first egg!

This morning, they both seemed okay--Clementine's head was still puffy, but not as swollen as yesterday and she seemed eager to eat/drink and come over & "visit" with me...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
  2. Rare Feathers Farm

Here is Clementine (pics from last summer):
    [​IMG]

And here is her sister:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
  3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Sounds like their heads got infection, but you're taking good care of them. They'll be okay I bet.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

I hope so--would they be swollen that fast, though?? What else should I clean them with--besides Betadine/water? I put neosporin on them last night & then coated that with Blu-Kote. The antibiotic is Terramycin (water soulable).

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Hubby suggested I trim the roo's beak? Never done that before, but would it help??

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Anyone else?

7. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    It will ALWAYS swell like that. Just keep it moist with antibiotics once a day and any signs of infection start, just clean it with Hydrogen Peroxide then put antibiotic on it again. It'll soon scab over and heal just fine. Might have to keep her away from the flock till it scabs. Make sure her eyes don't get stuck. Wipe eyes with mild warm water until the lid is clean and will open.

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Thank you! I put some Blu-Kote on it last night & continued with the antiobiotics in her water...it was barely swollen this morning. [​IMG] And she's still very cheerful, talkative, eating & drinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by