Rough bumpy eggs & NOT excess calcium. Rest of egg is weak! Help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jtt777, Jun 10, 2016.

1. jtt777

jtt777 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Hi,

We have three chickens and one of which for the last couple months has been making eggs that are always rough on the top, with those little pimples but the eggshell in the rest of the egg is weaker than it should be.

At first we thought it was just excess calcium but the rest of the shell is weaker than it should it. It is like the calcium isn't be properly distributed across the egg. We've had a couple instances over the past several months when her eggs have broken in the coop.

The other two chickens have perfect eggs with very nice hard shells.

Since we thought it might be a calcium issue due to weak shells, we tried to give her more calcium. She's getting the Purina Layena Oyster Strong and we added oyster shells in a dish and still no improvement to the strength of the egg. We also tried to take her off of a Oyster Strong diet just in case it was excess Calcium and no improvement their either.

I have noticed some watery poop from time to time. Could there be some worming problem? I can't see any worms. Is this how this chicken's egg gland will just be forever?

She is a speckeled sussex and is one year old. Please help advise. I am attaching some pictures of the eggs....

Regards,
    Jeff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. beb444

beb444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA
    I am still trying to find answers for one of my chickens who has a very similar problem! Hers have a lot more bumps however, but are also very weak shells! If I find answers I will let you know! And please if you find something out, I would love hearing it!

3. jtt777

Jun 8, 2015
    Thanks. We can't seem to find anything online that describes this specific issue. Hoping someone has an answer.

4. jtt777

Jun 8, 2015
    Bump.... Anyone? Found another egg this weekend that another chicken nested on and it accidentally broke. The shells are weak

5. jtt777

Jun 8, 2015
    We had another broken egg today that another chicken sat on to break! Anyone??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by