Rough, dark brown halo on egg...why?

pamgervais

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2018
View attachment 1347342 This particular halo is not as easy to see as others I've gotten, it's just that I've not thought to inquire about it before now. I'm asking for help now because about a week ago I had one with this sort of halo and didn't think much of it because I get about 1 or 2 a week like this but the one in particular that concerned me after a couple of days in the carton started to get moldy on the halo part of the egg. This part with the darkened halo area is rough while the rest of the egg is smooth. Does anyone recognize this and have any advice? I've got 17 hens and they're all over 2 years old, different breeds.

Hi Pam, your link didn't work, but I saw the pic from your profile. There are lots of different types of egg deformities and many causes. If you are not keeping free choice oyster shell available, I would recommend that. I've found my hens need more calcium than they get from layer pellets.
This link is great for learning about eggs and why they sometimes come out a little wonky.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

full
Just a shelling glitch...tho could be diet or a shelling malfunction.

Thank you all for your input. I do not offer free choice oyster shell as suggested reason being my chickens free range all day and are only in chicken tractors at night where they can still be on the ground or up on roosts. I truly believed they got plenty of that kind of stuff in this manner. I wasn't worried about the halo until one of the eggs got moldy, that really worried me because I don't want someone eating the eggs to get sick. Thanks again for all your help, I may try offering the oyster shell just to see if it makes a difference.

I wasn't worried about the halo until one of the eggs got moldy, that really worried me because I don't want someone eating the eggs to get sick.
Rough shells are more likely to gather 'dirt'.
How do you process and store your eggs?
Are you selling or giving them away?
I would just eat those myself then.

Back
Top Bottom