Rough eggs

UrbanRunner

Chirping
Jul 10, 2009
Austin, Texas
One of our girls (we think its our Plymouth Rock) has been laying rough eggs. They are their normal brown with white sandpaper like specks on them. Is this an indication of a problem? They are definitely not smooth eggs.

It happens sometimes- not anything I worry about. One of mine lays eggs with tiny purple dots. Can't figure that one out!

Quote:
Some of our eggs began to be like that about the time that we began giving them calcium supplements. I think it's just calcium deposits. Although our bumps were brown. have you ever picked up a store egg and realized that there were little bumps on it?

I'm guessing it's normal, but I guess I don't know.
idunno.gif

My EE egg always have roungh bumps on the end. I think it's like overspray going thru the paintbooth! Nothing to worry about.

Thanks!

We've not noticed the rough spots on the factory eggs from the supermarket.

The analogy of the paint overspray is right on.

The roughness can't make for a very comfortable exit...
hmm.png

Last month I got eggs like the ones you described after my birds O.D.'d on oyster shell. They just went into a feeding frenzy one day and ate all of their oyster shell all at once. Stupid birds!
The rough eggs stopped after a week or so. I have since stopped filling the dispenser, and have had no trouble with thin shells.

Urban Runner: did the rough spots the eggs go away? I found an egg this morning with white powder all over it and was looking through the posts here to see what was up. I have just recently put out some ground up oyster shells for the girls.

Thanks
2 red comets, 2 ameraucanas, 4 pond comets, 1 orange tabby, 1 over worked Kitchen Aid mixer

Back
Top Bottom