Rough first night......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arnr1530, Mar 10, 2013.

1. arnr1530

arnr1530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    Well a month ago my husband got me 6 baby chicks 2 -2 wks old and 4- 1 wk old..... They have been such a joy and def just like having more family members! So the other day we get the coop we ordered in the mail I was so excited couldn't wait to get it together! Well today y husband and I start the journey of putting it together and after 3 hrs bad instructions we finally did ..... So we get it set up all in the place it needs to be I go inside get the chicks their heat lamp cause it was going down to mid 30's tonight and they were so excited hopping around trying to fly in their pen ....... ( side note my power was schedule to be turned off for 4 hrs. For routine work.... Was informed almost a wk ago) so I get them set up I'm in n put checking on them making sure nothing has bothered them
    Cause I like in the woods and I would just be crushed I finally get the nerve a little while ago to go to bed and just try not to be par annoyed and the power goes out I FORGOT it was going out I was so focused on the excitement well I get all upset wake my husband up the neighborhood was eery dogs barking like crazy..... And my poor baby chicks were screaming when I got out there I know I am probably sounding like the crazy person should have just let them go but I couldn't they would have froze!!! So my husband and I gather them all up and get them in their old little set up we had and bring them inside we make a fire to keep us and them a little warm ..... Whooo what a first night experience!!!

Thank you for letting me share

2. crazyhatlady

crazyhatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    NYS
    That sounded like you had a really stressful and hectic time. I am so glad you got it settled quickly.

3. arnr1530

arnr1530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    yes ma am ..... i stayed up most of the night with them to make sure they were gathering together and keeping warm.... they took a while to get it but they did and they made it through the night i just took them a little bit ago to their coop and they were very excited to be under their lamp they huddled all together under it... i am so so grateful they made it through the night

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by